Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Play Times

Hi everyone, I need to explain to staff at my new school why I don't join in afternoon play. I am in a small school which has a 15min morning and afternoon play. I have been in schools that only had a morning play and one that had no set playtimes. The view being that PDR is free flow anyway, which I totally agree with.

I feel I have to stop great CI play , tidy up ,review, all put on coats, and out we go. I do go along with the morning session as it is good for the children to meet and mix up with the others, being a small school and all.( Ok, and I do appreciate a comfort break) but it has been noted that I am not outside in the pm slot. I do have a mixed class so maybe my y1's need to find their peers but then my TA would have to go too!

I already agree to Mon and Fri pm play as we run a shared story time then with both classes.

Do I need to stand up for this or not rock the boat? :o

Hmm it's difficult when you're new! Maybe you could compromise and ask the children each day who wants to go for play and have your TA take them? That way if the year ones really want to join their peers they can. Also is it really necessary to tidy up and review if you are coming straight back in to further CI time afterwards? Can they not just leave things out and have review right at the end? Just a couple of suggestions, I'm sure others will be along with views on whether to take them out although I don't think there is one right or wrong answer, especially in a mixed class.

A couple of quick questions! Do you have free flow indoors and outdoors in your current set up? Also, how are the playtimes supervised? I'm just wondering why your TA would need to go as well.

Are the children bothered by this?

Does your absence from the playground place an extra burden on the rest of the staff re supervision?

I'd stick with what you feel is best for your children and your provision/ organisation.

Children in Reception shouldnt really need a down time like that, in my experience its much better without it and if your yr1 children have access to CI activities at this time then they probably arent that fussed. Outside playtime is very often difficult for little children.

Maybe towards the end of the summer term, it would be more appropriate in terms of a transition activity. But do make sure you look at staffing ratios and join in.

Thanks for the wise words everyone.

I actually did go and chat to the head as was worrying about it, who agreed that to stop great play to 'go and play' seemed daft too. I was so pleased and I did agree that when I had extra support in the class then I would send out my few Year 1's to join the others, as I need to keep 2 adults with class due to a child with epilepsy.Or i could ask my collegue if they are ok for my 6 to join in !?

I will do more in the summer term as Susan suggests as good for transition- def!

I feel a bit foolish now, got my knickers in a twist didn't I? :o

• 4 weeks later...

Since Jan i have stopped joining in 'playtimes' both morning and afternoon with my receptions. I can honestly say it is the best thing i have ever done, so much more quality learning going on! After the initial complaints from the rest of KS1 having to pick up another play duty to cover mine things have really settled and the children love having extra outdoor provision!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)