Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Key Person

Hi all,

I wonder if anyone could give advice here. We have a very large Nursery with 1 teacher and 3 key workers. The key workers come into work when the children come in and leave when the children do. Our budget and support hours have been cut by the head dramatically. The key workers have never been overly enthusiastic about their role and do not seem to want to put anything into the role except the minimum. They are now unhappy about gaining info for inclusion wheels, planning cycle. The teacher carries out all planning and assessment and the key workers sometimes do not even get their groupwork resources ready until they come to grouptime which ends up being chaotic. The teacher does whole class activities and key workers deliver small group work. We have cut down observations and learning journey things as much as possible. The key workers have 13 children am and pm. The key workers rotate around the 4 rooms throughout the week so that they have an opportunity of being with their children in different areas. I am at a loss as to what to do in relation to what is expected of them and what thy should be doing. Does anyone have any good sources of documentation about the role and responsibities of a key worker. We really need them to be positive about observations, gaining evidence for inclusion support and supporting planning but it's not happening and they keep saying we do not have enough time to do this, we are not trained to do this.......... Please help!

:o

Oh my I feel so sorry for u that us so terrible that thus is the case. First step I would go to the head teacher with these concerns and ask if even you could have them for 15 mins paid at either side of the day. I know u have have probably give down thus route and gir a no, but the head needs to understand and support this problem.

At my previous school all the key workers had thirty own colour group which they did group time with, they each had a rug of the colour if their group would lay it down in the floor in a seperate area of the setting to deliver a small like mini mini input circle time. The beginning and end session would be led by 2 of the keyworkers whilst the other 2 tidyed up and set up for the next session.

That's just an idea but understand how it might not work for u. Also I would deliver my own observation training to them so they all have the same info and can't say they don't know what to do. I might have a PowerPoint on thus somewhere ill have a look. If the head won't pay them to stay for training tell them that u will pay them the time back in half hour slots across the term so that ur not loosing all staff on one day.

I know non if this might help just hope u can get sum help because it must be so frustrating. Oh and I've just downloaded a booklet of internet called funding for early years u cud always apply for some funding to pay the staff to stay extra

Gooodluck ill send u any observation training if I can find

Oh my I feel so sorry for u that us so terrible that thus is the case. First step I would go to the head teacher with these concerns and ask if even you could have them for 15 mins paid at either side of the day. I know u have have probably give down thus route and gir a no, but the head needs to understand and support this problem.

At my previous school all the key workers had thirty own colour group which they did group time with, they each had a rug of the colour if their group would lay it down in the floor in a seperate area of the setting to deliver a small like mini mini input circle time. The beginning and end session would be led by 2 of the keyworkers whilst the other 2 tidyed up and set up for the next session.

That's just an idea but understand how it might not work for u. Also I would deliver my own observation training to them so they all have the same info and can't say they don't know what to do. I might have a PowerPoint on thus somewhere ill have a look. If the head won't pay them to stay for training tell them that u will pay them the time back in half hour slots across the term so that ur not loosing all staff on one day.

I know non if this might help just hope u can get sum help because it must be so frustrating. Oh and I've just downloaded a booklet of internet called funding for early years u cud always apply for some funding to pay the staff to stay extra

Gooodluck ill send u any observation training if I can find

Thank you for your reply

:o