Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Downloadable Games

Can any one suggest any downloadable (preferably free) games I can install on the preschool netbooks. We do have internet but it is intermittant depending where in the room you are. We also have external CD drives but that means you have to be by a socket so we are looking for games to load direct onto the computers and use offline.

Thanks

Hi there,

If you type Kent gamesinto google there are a variety of games you acan use for number, phonics etc. I use the, nearly every day. I down loaded them onto my pen drive but it was a year or so ago so not sure if they are still downloadable but defo worth a look.

stacey

These are brilliant.

Thanks

There is a whole suite of pre-school games called GCompris, well over 50 games and all are good quality. You can play them in many different languages too. I currently use a 'learn your colours' game with our EAL children, first in their own language and once they're familiar with their game in English. The results so far are fab! There are letter/ word/ number recognition games and some mouse control ones designed for the very young ( I use it with our under 3s.) There are tell the time and how to work out right from left etc etc etc.

I LOVE this suite and have been using it for years, best of all it's open source, so completely free and if any new games get added to the suite you just download them for free, too.

They are designed for the Linux operating system, which personally I find much more intuitive and easier to use than Windows and the children learn to navigate it very quickly. In fact every setting I have shown this too ended up installing Linux.

It's really not that difficult to switch and you can even install it side-by-side with Windows so you can choose at start-up which operating system you want to use. But to be honest once you're used to it you probably won't miss Windows much.

As you can see I am rather biased, but it is the best thing I have come across. Why pay for software and help multi-millionaires get even richer when there is excellent open source software out there already? Once you've got it, there is loads more you will have access to...

Feel free to pm me if you like help with the installation aspect :o

Poppy

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)