Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

15 Min Activity & 10 Min Obs

Hi all I have been reading through alot of old threads and I know I am asking for similar help, but I have an interview and I need to do a focused activity of my choosing with a small group of reception children. I also have to carry out a 10 min observation. I have never done long obs before and was wondering what I need to do in them. Is it a step by step account of what the child has said and done or is it more of a minute by minute.

Also I have a few ideas for the activity but if anyone has a good activity they would like to share I would greatly appreciate it.

Many Thanks

Hi when I do my observations I pretty much write down everything that I see and hear the child say. I usually have so much to write so quickly that I have to summarise what I've seen. i imagine that what they are looking for is that you know what you are looking for and your understanding of what you have seen. Will they provide you with an observation sheet? if not you should take your own which should have space for the observation, space for what you have learnt about the child and a section on what their next steps should be and ideas to incorporate into planning. My observation sheets have an overview of the EYFS on the back of them for reference.

deb

I also tend to write down everything the child says and does during the observation, I always have in my mind the profile statements so therefore know which bits of information are going to be relevant in the observation when completing assessments.

For a couple of interviews (for foundation stage teaching post) I have done the following:

A simple numeracy counting game using laminated numbers and ladybirds (sparklebox). The children are given some ladybirds or numbers and have to match them. I also made a simple number recognition game for the interactive whiteboard as a starter.

Read the rainbow fish and then get the children to make a scale (I got some shiny, colourful paper from Wilko's and the children cut a scale shape out) and give it to a friend, saying the reason why they want to share their scale with that particular person! (I got the job after this interview!)

For my last interview (where I still work now) I collected some garden snails and took them in (used a fishtank). We looked at them closely with magnifying glasses and the children held them if they wanted to. I got a dark coloured dinner tray to put the snails on so we could look at their trails. I also took the glass out of a photo frame and taped the edges with strong tape (so there were no sharp bits) then we put the snail on and looked at the underside. The children loved this activity and it provided a great deal of discussion and observation from them. Snails might be hibernating at this time of year but are usually found under old rocks/bricks or inside of plant pots.

Good Luck!!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)