Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Music!

Hi there, all you lovely people!!!

My setting has just (literally. by the scruff of a Friday night neck!!!) decided to join the 'First Steps' funding initiative, whereby Music Practitioners join us, on the Ground Floor, to give our children a flying start with music.

We need to submit an application - we have our own ideas, lots of them, but has anyone out there had this sort of experience of applying for funding, to give us some pointers ?

Sue :D

We applied for funding for last few years for music sessions called "Jump Start to Music". Last year we asked for funding from a local company which often supports us and they paid in full for three terms worth of 2 hour sessions (term-time only). Next year Sure Start are funding sessions, one hour for nursery children and one hour for community. We have a Resource Manager who works within community and she deals with funding applications and letter requests etc. if you want more info I can ask her more specific things. The children who took part (kept the same 8 children for a term) really enjoyed it and the staff who could join in came away with some useful ideas. We are a centre with an admission criteria of Children in Need and obviously did not charge parents for sessions.

Hope that may be of some help. PM if you want to know anything else.

Hi Sue,

I was asked a couple of years ago to be the music teacher in several settings who had received this funding that you're talking about. At the time, there was website dedicated to it....not sure if it's still there?

The funding was for a music teacher to visit the settings for, I think, ten sessions, (one per week), where staff, parents, and anyone who wanted to be there, all joined in with the children's music making. The idea was that the teacher would give the nursery practitioners the beginnings of a music programme that they could continue once the funding had run out. It also included ideas for parents to make music with their children outside the setting.

I think the product that they used was call Melody Monkey, or something similar.

From what I remember the award was given because the money was going to be used not only to give the children (who were in a designated area of deprivation) quality musical experiences, but also to inspire practitioners and parents to "have a go" at an area that they were probably very unsure about. In other words, the grant people wanted the money to have a lasting effect.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)