Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Outside Play

I am part of a small out of school provision on school premises who employ four staff. Our operating costs are really high and I need to bring them down. Currently what we do is when the children come to us is that we have two staff outside and two staff inside so giving the children a choice of being outside or in. However, I really only need on some days two members of staff and on others three, but currently because of how we work I am having four members of staff on duty and it isn't cost effective.

Another club I know takes all the children outside for about 45 mins and then they come in and play with the indoor activities. I know it means that children don't have the choice of whether they play inside or outside initially but they did really well in their Ofsted inspection and they manage their costs really well.

What is your experiences and how do you work your clubs?

Appreciate any ideas

we are also a small club we can use the school playground but we have to walk around the building to access this so all go together. we have a very small area that we use for pre-school directly outside we use this for free play in or out . we have 16 children so need 2 staff though we do have an apprentice for the first hour as our numbers start to drop as they leave could you possibly do this? Cost is high on our agenda too I think you need to be realistic is it going to have a detrimental effect if they all go out together? If there is a lot of activity choice on offer outside this still meets their needs, we have dens small world etc not just sports.

Im sure parents wont object to this its better than adding further costs on to fees.

sue

We are also on a school site and we can take 32 children at any time. Our opening times are 3.20 -5.30pm. We have 4 staff also. We work to a ratio of 1 adult to 8 children and as long as the school gates are shut, one member of staff goes outdoors with 8 children and as children leave others can swop over. If more children want to go out and we can warrent another member of staff being outdoors then we will take upto 16 outdoors. All children are back inside by 4.40pm as dark and playground does not have lights.

We have 2 price brackets 3.20 - 4.40 pm and then 3.20 - 5.30pm. As we have a number of children who leave by 4.40 a member of staff finishes then with another member finishing by 5.15pm when most things are done and less children.

Does that help?

Guest jenpercy
Thank you for your replies it has been helpful.

It is fine to send one member of staff outside but consider phone or walkie talkie protocol. 2 members of staff outside and one in means one supervising toilets, answering door etc.

Actually we used to do both according to weatther, children etc. I do think that it is good for children to find something to do outside from time to time.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)