Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

End Of Term Reports

we send out 'reports' twice a year for the preschool children in my setting. this does not include the leavers whose parents get a copy of the record of transfer.

the forms are headed 'all about me' and have headings such as 'things I like at pre school' and 'things I am still practising'. we would like to change this format as it comes across as quite assumptive for us to say what the children like etc.

does anyone have other formats for this, we have wondered whether we should base it more on the record of transfer, linking it with the six areas of learning. any comments very welcome please!

sandie

I am currently in the middle of writing my end of year reports (for 3 and 4 year olds!?!) and under the instruction of our FS coordinator am covering the 6 areas of learning + a section entitled 'general comments'. This entails just 2 or 3 sentences in most cases basically hilighting things the child can do under this heading, for example, a child who shows no interest in number work may get a: 'enjoys playing with sorting equipment', whilst a child at the opposite end of the spectrum for MD may get: 'Can count beyond 10' or 'can create or extend a simple pattern'. To me this seems a little like false representation, as it doesn't give specific advice for areas their child maybe falls short on (not that it makes much difference at this age - they could come on in leaps and bounds in the next year or so). Under general comments we tend to focus on the child as a person; whether they interact well with other children and adults and whether they show particular interest in any specific learning areas or activities. You get the picture!

Don't know if this is any help whatsoever, but thought I'd share since I'm 'in that place' too.

If you ask the children what they enjoy you could stick to your original format? There is a space in the profile booklets, which I know you wont be using, to allow the children to comment on their own learning so its not entirely out of place. You could then comment on the childs observed preferences?

We attend cluster meetings for preschool practitioners and reception teachers, and at last week's one we all agreed the format for preschool reports to pass onto the schools. They are A3 size, divided into the six areas of learning (room for 5 or 6 lines of writing for each) and the aspects within each area of learning listed. We will indicate which stepping stone colour band the child is currently working within, for each aspect (just using a coloured felt tip). Not sure how long this will take as I haven't had the proforma, but I'll get back to you when I've started.

The reception teachers were keen for this same format from all their feeder preschools, and I can see it would work much better for them than 25 different report layouts :D

One of our reception teachers told me they operated a similar 'downsized' handover doc last year with the previous nursery teacher. Apparently, even just hilighting which stepping stone children were working at was an arduous task. This year they will use the reports (4 or 5 lines per area) and brief notes on a classlist detailing things like left or right-handed, scissor skills, pincer-grip and dressing skills (hah! that's a laugh!) I haven't begun the notes yet, but I don't think they'll be too difficult. Although there is an element of repetition, as I've covered some bits in the reports.

Helen, We do similar to you, an agreed format for all preschools for the Record of transfer (ROT). However ours are A4 size using both sides. We make a comment under each area but aspects are not listed. Ours are provided on CD from the EYDCP.

Do your providers get blank copies, enough for all the children, in the A3 size? I would find it difficult to print this size and to photocopy blank ones.

Peggy

Hi Peggy,

I'm not sure how they will give us the forms. I too will find it really difficult to copy A3 sheets. I might have to do A4 and tape them together :o Hope they decide on a more user-friendly method!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)