Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Lost And Found

Hello all,

Has anyone ever used the lovely text Lost and Found by Oliver Jeffers in their Reception classroom?

I have a lesson obs next week and have decided to come away from the normal 'safe' texts and try something new! I thought we'd try modelled/shared writing for the lesson obs....and by modelled/shared writing, I mean collecting and introducing new vocab at this time of year. It would be me scribing the collected words! I'm sorted for my focus group activity, I'm going to introduce the word 'weird' and teach its meaning as this could be frequent use word which would benefit the children later in their writing, but I need some help with child initated activities that could be going on around the room! We are going to have a 'cold' role play area, with lots of cold words and penguins and other things that could be found in cold places....I'm going to out ice in the water tray.......has anyone any other brilliant ideas that could make the children go 'wow'! Our theme of the week is cold places as this leads up to Christmas...north pole etc, but its still a little bit too early to start Christmas..even though its in all the shops and tv adverts and my children are already excited about it so I thought this meets their interests half way!

Any ideas would be greatly received!

Many thanks everyone!

Cat x

Maybe put out some boats made of different materials, into which the children can put in a boy and a penguin - see which boats perform better in water - lots of lang opps here, predictions beforehand - reasons why the boat did/didn't stay afloat after a while - materials theme!?

Jenni

you must do magic snow! I do it every year on the run up to christmas in my tuff spot and it certainly has the wow factor. You can get it in lots of places like the range/hobby craft/hawkins bazaar. If you havn't seen it it is a powder which when water is added it expands instantly to look and feel like snow, eventually it dries out back to powder again and you can rejuninate it with water again. I usually do it as a whole class activity sitting round the tuff spot each child to have a small scoop to feel what happens when water is added. Once everyone has had a turn I then leave it out for them to play with (I usually add the white glitter to it as well) with polar bears/penguins etc

not to be missed!

deb

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)