Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Write Dance

Hi,

We have just purchased Write Dance-book and CD.

I have had a very quick read of it but don't quite understand.

There are songs/stories on the tape. Do you stand up and do physical movements to these and then repeat making pencil/crayon movements on paper?

Do you have to follow it slavishily or can you dip around? I did the first story abpout a blank piece of paper and Yoyo and Meema. There are grids with drawings of graphics but I'm not clear if they are body movements or movements to make on paper.

Is there a video you can watch? Has anyone put themselves on You Tube doing it??

Thanks

Which book did you buy, there are several?

Have you tried searching for previous threads as there are some here?

I think you either love Write Dance or hate it. It is possible to do your own thing with it but the more strictly you can stick to it the easier it is. I found I had to adapt as I had neither the resources or the time to instigate it how I wished but I enjoyed it and the children seemed to too.

I don't understand write dance either - I love the idea of it and people have raved about it but I have had it since summer and still not started using it. What is the different between the home stories and the funfair stories? Are you meant to pick one or do both or do a bit of both??? I have the Nursery write dance book by the way. It doesn't seem overly exciting either - I would need to 'jazz' it up I think. I have tried posting my questions on previous threads but haven't had a response.

If anybody can help it would be greatly appreciated!

Sarah x

Yes, that's the book we've got I think, 'Write Dance in the Early years age 3-5'. I want to be someone who loves it but I just don't quite understand the book.

This week we did lots of big arm movements in the hall to some firework music and then we drew with crayons on big pieces of paper while I played the same music. Is that in the same spirit as Write Dance?

I guess different music and instructions will ellicit different movements e.g spiky, zig zags, circles, lines etc. ?

Hi I am trialling write dance this year so am new to it too. I am in reception and use the second book. It is rather strange to say the least and I have not been on any training so I kind of use the book as a starting point and do my own thing. This is what I do, I take the children into the hall, they sit round the edges of the hall and take off shoes and socks. They then come to the middle where I tell the children a story based upon the write dance people using a few props meanwhile my TA tapes large pieces of wall paper to the floor of the hall with masking tape. I go through the movements based on the story and we dance to the music sometimes using ribbons. I then talk them through the particular movements I am wanting them to use on paper and we practice in the air with our pretend crayons. The children then go to their paper and sit on the floor with their legs either side of it in a v. I then get them to practice the movements on the paper to music without crayons and then I give them out 2 stubby crayons 1 for each hand to encourage correct pencil grip and they then write dance to the music. I am not yet entirely convinced that it is making an impact and is worth the effort and time that it takes but I'm giving it a go for a bit longer. For my children who hadn't done much mark making before school it is giving them the freedom and enjoyment of markmaking but for many of my children who are holding their pencils correctly and can correctly form their letters it seems like a backward step. I have adopted it as I have a child with downs syndrome who had done it throughout her special pre school and with her transition it was discussed how good it would be if she could continue with it. I have to say though that the children really love it and look forward to it each week and it is fulfilling the CD point of responding creatively to different pieces of music. What I did this week and what worked realy well was to draw some lines on the paper for them to follow and do their scrimbling within and on the lines. I am also starting to use my own music and do my own movements and think that eventually I will move away from the book altogether and put my own spin on it as some of the sections are uninspiring.

Deb

I have just bought Write Dance too and am planning to do the first session on Friday. BUT I want to start with the 'Story of a Piece of Paper' - where is the music for this? The story doesn't connect to Sandy Hill. Has anyone found suitable music for the 'paper' story?

Can anyone advise?! :o

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)