Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Foundation Stage Ofsted Evidence

Can anyone help? ideas support experience needed!!!!

I will be taking on the role of fondation stage coordinator next term I am very excited but an OFSTED is definitely on the cards!

Problem..... We are part of the school and therefore SEF forms have been filled in for the whole school. The problem is that the head has set a very hard task, presumably to test my capabilities.

We have indicated on the sef form that children enter the nursery with a variety of difficulties language deprivation etc. By the time they leave the foundation stage with the value added these children are "performing" in line or better than the national average. The head has asked me to provide hard statistical evidence for this. We carry out our own baseline when they arrive and obviously they leave with the profile as yet can't find any benchmarks or national averages for foundation. (will this happen with the introduction of the eprofile?)

Thought about using first baseline and convert this into percentages and then re-test this at the end of reception? My head is swimming. What criteria should i use can't assess everything according to goals obviously. Should i just pick ones from each area as an indicator..? ohhhhhhhhh! I don't know please please has anyone got any ideas?

Thankyou

Congratulations on becoming FS coordinator

We are in an area where language is an issue and we use Aspects on entry assessment which clearly shows where the children are in terms of CLL and Maths development.If you use the computer version you get an instant print out of results.It also separates the results further by for example in maths you can see results for number,shape,positianal lang etc and in Lit it gives scores for lang,repeats,letter sound s etc

It is linked to the profiles and we Aspect again at the end of Nursery for Value added.

Dont know if your school uses Aspects at all but I do find it useful although it is not used at all as ongoing assessment We have our own ,based on SS and ELG

probably not much help but good luck :)

Thankyou crestacat. Haven't heard of aspects Do i have to buy it?

Sounds like just the thing. However been to a sure start conference today where they said "your head should be looking at qualatative assessment not quantative!!! " feel i am getting pulled in 2 directions!

thankyou for your time

wheeldon

Hi Wheeldon,

I wonder who filled in the part of the SEF form stating that your children enter Nursery with a variety of difficulties, language deprivation etc? They should have had the evidence at hand to back up this statement. Throw the ball back at them. If they didn't have the evidence they shouldn't have written what they did.

If it was you who filled in that bit and know it to be true, you can refer to staff observation and knowledge of your children when they start. Professional judgement is allowed in Foundation! :) (Sometimes it's the only way).

If your head insists on statistical evidence, then you'll have to buy into something like Aspects and tell him to wait until next year.

If you're unhappy with what's on the SEF form, tell 'them' and get it changed. When OFSTED comes along it'll be too late to change it and it may be you who has to pick up the pieces.

Sorry to sound so grumpy but SMT are very good at pushing us around and we have to hold our ground.

love J

Hi Wheeldon

Have just remembered that EYP results for 2004 have been published and if your LEA is any good they will have been sent to your school. It will probably show your school's results compared to all others in the LEA and nationally. So you might get something useful from that.

love J

I am in an inner city school with similar deprivation and diverse backgrounds, lots of EAL children- our baseline analysis is matched against the birth to three doc. So, most chn. not achieving stepping stones when they come, or maybe in a couple of areas - we match them to stages of child dev. do maybe they might score a 3 which might be equiv to a 24 month year old. I'll try and get hold of the sheet that we send to EY service, and post it on here...

hi j moore thanks and no you don't sound grumpy you have said what i wanted to say!! I just needed some back-up

Doubt our LEA has posted the results but will look. Thanx for your time beginning to wonder if i would be better placed in a pre-school not attatched to a school, there are so many people in schools who don't understand early years philosophy. However I am willing and confident to stand up to them!!

hi longwayround you must have been posting as I was. Any help would be great! Would love to see your sheet sounds really helpful

Thanx