Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Observation/learning Intention

Hi I have an observation coming up soon, in a Nursery setting. I am going to do a cooking activity and link it to Numeracy - counting spoonfuls ingredients etc.etc.. Has anyone any top tips for good lesson observations linked to cookery? our head is very keen that we explain the 'learning intention' to children at the start of the lesson she asks us to explain the Learning objective at the start of the lesson whether they are in Foundation stage of Year 6. I am curious as to how others do this in Foundation stage. Many of our activities have 3 or 4 learning intentions as very are very cross curricular activities so it might have a Learning Intention from PSRN, CLL and KUW. Does anyone know what good practise is as to sharing LO's with children in Foundation stage generally?

Thanks so much for all advice!

I think I might share the learning intention in a very general, basic way.

For instance when making dough I told the children we were going to have a go at changing flour and water into dough ( to show an awareness of change: KUW)

Of course dough making is very cross curricular but I don't think I would mention the other areas it overs except on the planning.

I shall be interested to see what others think.

Good luck being observed x

I would do the same as Scarlettangel said, share what you feel is the key learning objective for the activity, so if for you that is the PSRN aspect of it, then share a PSRN objective and keep the others for your written planning. I share objectives orally with my F2 children using simple language, for instance 'today we are going to cook some ____ and we are going to learn how to count out the ingredients to follow the recipe'.

Guest thinlizzie

If you want to make your observation a cooking activity then PSRN is a really good area to link your learning intention to. You could state that the objective is to " count the number of spoonfuls" or "read the numbers on the scales as you add ingredients". If you have one clear aim then it is easier for an observer to see if you are achieving this.

If you have to write out the lesson plan then I would also write out the indirect learning objectives, such as PSE- turn taking, CLL-vocabulary enrichment, KUW- noticing changes, PD- using tools etc.....

Good luck with it, our children love cookery sessions---don't think they get much chance to "cook" at home these days.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)