Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

More Help Please!

paddywack

Hi everyone paddywack here, life is just as stressed close to tears some nights now .Not seeing how I can finish by 15 July!!!! I need some help on some assignments for unit c5 -- Develop mutual understanding and respect of different social and cultral backgrounds would this be done by role play themed topics or something else? how are concepts concerning the rights of other people introduced ? welcoming new children helping them adjust when 1-they have been to many settings . 2-first time in setting. 3-backgrounds and cultures. also how to give assistance to children without undermining their self-esteem.. I know this sounds alot but I would be eternally gratful for some help. I think Iam close to going mad, my assesor comes out twice a week for me and Iam knackered and really fed up of nvq work but Iam determined to do it I need some freindly words from kind souls!!!!! xD:(:o

Dear Paddywack

Don't go mad or pull out your hair - I will try and offer some advice not too sure whether it will be worthwhile but may get you thinking around the problem. What about starting off with a book, the Marcus Pfister books Rainbow Fish spring to mind - talks about being different, feelings of being alienated and not having any friends - this could perhaps lead into creating discussion about differences and diversity in a very subtle and easy way for children to understand.

"Children need to be able to think about and link their own experiences to appreciate the ways in which they differ. Linking their own experience to other inequalities is likely to be more effective than simply telling them about other cultures" (Taken from Babette Brown - Unlearning discrmination in teh Early Years)

Link in CARE and RESPECT because that ultimately is what we should be trying to create - a model for a caring society which we would like children to inherit. (Babette Brown)

What about following this up with creating a large montage of people - magazines, catalogues etc are cheap resources and you could talk about differences - bring in some KUW, perhaps by using a globe, - do you have a diverse range of children in your group, if so, do you know what their parents expectations/background are and could they help you? Leon and Bob is also a good book - do you have a good range of multicultural books in your group you could start this off - if not a visit to the library might bring something up. Perhaps you could base your activities around a suitable book in small/large groups - perhaps using a puppet or personal doll to support this. Have you a good range or dressing up clothes too - not too sure what festivals are coming up - perhaps you could look to incorporating this, although imparting of cultural knowledge does not in itself prepare children for life in a mutlticultural society. What about looking at famous buildings/difference places of worship and how they differ - how do their homes differ - children must be able to link their own experiences and unless they can then they may well be meaningless.

Well not so sure if this has been of any help - but you've still got a while - and if you have got this far I am sure you can get there. Anyway if you do go mad you will be as mad as the rest of us!!!!

Nikki

Can I add to what Nikki has said and suggest looking at the Persona Dolls concept? There's a 'Little Books' version that might be useful & it's quite easy to get hold of, & reasonably priced. I think that would fit the bit about 'developing mutual undesrtanding and respect' Or could you think about getting 'non-stereotypical visitors' e.g. a lady mechanic, a sportsperson in a wheelchair, etc etc.

I know it's easy to say, but the NVQ madness doesn't last forever & it does tend to come together quicker at the end. Hang on in there!

HI I AM TRUDY NOTICED YOU ARE STRUGGLING WITH C5 AS WELL I AM ALSO DUE TO FINISH ON 5TH JULY R U DOING NVQ LEVEL 3 CHILD CARE AND EDUCATION? I HAVE DONE A BIT ON C5 JUST GIVE ME THE PC FOR EXAMPLE c.5.1.1 ETC I CAN SEE I CAN HELP IN ANY WAY

Regards

Trudy

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)