Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Letter Formation Lesson Observation

Hi there everyone. Oh gosh another observation taking place this monday. Not only by my head but also by a man who wrote the literacy hour/review etc Eeeek. He's going to be observing me in phonics. At the moment mu higher ability reception class are writing cvc words (not confidently) but well on the way to getting to grips with it. Wat is letting them down though is the formation of the letters. So next week, my nursery nurse and i are having a big push on formation with higher and middle ability chn and lower, doing large gross motor movements etc.

Any idea on some great ideas for my higher ability chn with formation. I did think about taking them in the hall and them painting letters, but my head would have 40fits.

Any ideas would e very much appreciated

xxxxx

Ive just found this idea on the internet-musical letters. Chairs placed in a circle with a felt tip and letter placed on each chair. Chn go around the circle to the sound of music with a clipboard and paper. When music stops, each child sit on nearest chair to them and write the letter thats on their chair . I really like the idea...but how will i check each child has formed the letter correctly. I could maybe just concentrate on caterpilar letters. Do a quick practice on the floor together, then play the musical letter game. How does that sound?

xxx

Hi there everyone. Oh gosh another observation taking place this monday. Not only by my head but also by a man who wrote the literacy hour/review etc Eeeek. He's going to be observing me in phonics. At the moment mu higher ability reception class are writing cvc words (not confidently) but well on the way to getting to grips with it. Wat is letting them down though is the formation of the letters. So next week, my nursery nurse and i are having a big push on formation with higher and middle ability chn and lower, doing large gross motor movements etc.

Any idea on some great ideas for my higher ability chn with formation. I did think about taking them in the hall and them painting letters, but my head would have 40fits.

Any ideas would e very much appreciated

xxxxx

At this stage of the year would they be expecting to see planned activities which develop motor control skills to help develop formation skills, rather than children forming letters? You could do some letters as part of the activity too, though.

What about:

fat felt / drywipe pens taped onto the end of longish sticks so children have to use upper body to create circles / zig zags / wavy lines - call it Jedi writing. Do onto large whiteboard or paper stuck on the wall. Can also do this in the air - using both hands clasped together, use Star Wars music to match.

also, make sure to do a 'family' of letter shapes so you reinforce the same movement each time - such as c o a d g / n m h r - all start with the same orientation. If you have each one printed in colour on an A4 sheet - very large! you can add arrows and children can follow

the arrows with a car / animal / small toy person - following the formation.

A phonic link could be to put out the current phonemes written on smallish pieces of card - children have to pick up, with tweezers, the phonemes needed for a cvc word to match the picture or object they are given - fine control development.

Good luck!

Jenni

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)