Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Tricky Words Reception

Hi there everyone, hope you are all enjoying your weeks break. I have at last sat down to begin next weeks planning. And last tern was wondering how i would fit teaching tricky words in our timetable along with formation of letters and numbers etc.

I do daily phonics sessions using jolly phonics and it seems to be going very well, where half my class are writing cvc words now. The other half way off. When can you fit in tricky words, i have not started this yet and will be a focu for this term. Do you introduce a letter and a word in one session. We are onto letter u, b, f, ff nxt week.

Would love to hear hw you are all fitting it in. xxxx

I would lookat the phases from letters and sounds and introduce your tricky words accordingly. They are read in one pahse and written in the next. Flash cards every day would work alongside your phoneme/ grapheme recognition.

I'm going to move this into the reception area.

Hi there everyone, hope you are all enjoying your weeks break. I have at last sat down to begin next weeks planning. And last tern was wondering how i would fit teaching tricky words in our timetable along with formation of letters and numbers etc.

I do daily phonics sessions using jolly phonics and it seems to be going very well, where half my class are writing cvc words now. The other half way off. When can you fit in tricky words, i have not started this yet and will be a focu for this term. Do you introduce a letter and a word in one session. We are onto letter u, b, f, ff nxt week.

Would love to hear hw you are all fitting it in. xxxx

Hello Rainbow 34

It isn't easy to get through the tricky words as quickly as the phonemes! I now do a daily sentence as part of name recognition practice. The sentence I put out is a statement or question which incorporate tricky words. The children have to put their name into either the 'yes' or 'no' box in response. They have picked up many more words this way - try it! If you want more info, just let me know.

Jenni

In total agreement with Susan. Letters and Sounds have clear incremental steps for introducing Tricky words in reading and then writing those words in the next phase. I also send home current Tricky words for practice and change to next set when I have done assessment. luluj

• 2 weeks later...

Help! I am new to foundation although I have been teaching nearly 20 twenty years and am needing lots of guidance. I am only working 1 day a week in foundation as a job share. My partner has asked me to teach tricky words alongside her teaching phonics.

Any fab exciting tips of interesting and effective ways to teach them??? I would be so grateful.

Also, tips on guided reading at this age. I was very good at this in KS2 - but this is a whole new ball game!

Look forward to any advice...

Hi Hannah and welcome!

Tricky words really need to have a dialy focus if you are going to get anywhere fast so your partner will nedd to be involved too. Do look at the Letters and Sounds document to help you. There are lots of resources available that you could make for bingo and snap type games and I would have some words on flash cards to use regularly.

You can do lots of lovely pre reading activities for Guided Reading, talking about the pictures, finding keywords etc and generally making sure book skills are secure. You may need to cover vocabulary extension or consolidation or even introduction depending on your cohort but it cam be a very useful and beneficial reading skills time. Have fun.

Hi Hannah and welcome!

Tricky words really need to have a dialy focus if you are going to get anywhere fast so your partner will nedd to be involved too. Do look at the Letters and Sounds document to help you. There are lots of resources available that you could make for bingo and snap type games and I would have some words on flash cards to use regularly.

You can do lots of lovely pre reading activities for Guided Reading, talking about the pictures, finding keywords etc and generally making sure book skills are secure. You may need to cover vocabulary extension or consolidation or even introduction depending on your cohort but it cam be a very useful and beneficial reading skills time. Have fun.

Thank you that is helpful.

My guided reading so far has been with picture only books. We have been learning to story-tell. Seems to have been quite successful, but I suppose I am wondering when I introduce books with words. I am also doing individiual reading, although trying to fit them all in, in only a day and a bit is a challenge. But then again, this job is a constant challenge - it's why we do it! Life would be boring otherwise!

With guided reading i start books with words when they are segmenting and blending cvc. so i have 2 groups on word books now. I am lucky though as my guided reading books link to the phonics so the will be made up of words from letter set 1 them the next book will be made up of words from letter set 2 and so on...

in phonics i have 1 day a week where i introduce new tricky words then i try and incorporate them into my other phonics sessions when looking at captions i aslo got an idea of this forum called the tricky word crown where you put a word on a crown and wear it and the children have to give you a sentence which contains that word. Currently i just wear the crown in the morning and the children come and tell me what the word says as were not ready for setences yet!

i think with tricky words you gotta just do them over and over and in the end with lots of practice and once they get into their reading they begin to pick them up. I think its one of the hardest things to teach.

Hi I do a daily phonics lesson but only teach 3 sounds a week. On a Thursday and Friday I concentrate more on putting the sound we have learnt into practice and teaching tricky words as there never seems time when introducing the sound. I flash the tricky words we have learnt so far daily. I do guided reading daily too and have 5 groups. My TA has a group to practice and asses tricky words and she organises them to go home with the children. I hear a group read (2 out of 5 groups are on phase 2 readers and the rest on wordless books). The other 3 groups do CLL based activities independently such as listening centre, handwriting formation, phonic games etc. I only do individual readers every half term to assess where they are on the home readers the rest of the time the children read to parent and granny helpers.

Deb

One thing that has really helped my children is one of the games on the Phonics Play website. There is a game called 'Train your brain for Tricky Words'. In my recent assessments every single child knew the phase 2 tricky words in and out of context and I really think this has helped - what has been really useful is that we leave it on the whiteboard for the children to access when they want to. There are buttons to push that indicate the 'tricky' part of the word and a button you can push that indicates where the sound buttons go. You do need to subscribe but its only £12 for the year - well worth the money!!

I do lots of the activities that others are suggesting but also try to inject exposure to tricky and HFWs in the enhanced provision so in the cutting area I hung a large cloud and placed the words in there on raindrops for the children to cut out and stick to the cloud - its almost unavoidable for them to try to read them and feel immense joy when they get it right. I also placed some of the words printed in outline in the creative area, the children coloured them in and we created a graffiti look wall from this - again they are so keen to try to read while they are doing this. Hope this helps.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)