Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Social Stories

I have 2 children for whom we have been advised to produce some social stories to help them to participate fully in our routines. My problem is that all the resources, including the Carol Gray website, I have looked at seem aimed at older children so I was wondering if anyone on here uses them with 3 year olds and might have an example to start me off.

Hi I teach reception so older than your children. I had 3 children come to me from our feeder playgroup with ASD last year and all of them had had social stories for a variety of different things. What they had done was take pictures of the children and stuck them in a scrap book and then written a 'story' to go with the pictures. So the story would go something like this my name is jack, I go to playgroup,(photo of child at playgroup) I have lots of friends at playgroup, (photo of friends) It is good to be kind to my friends, being kind means sharing (photo of sharing a toy/book) having kind hands and saying kind words. If I am kind to my friends everyone is happy (photos of playgroup leaders smiling) I will try very hard to be kind to my friends and then everyone is happy. Once children are at school we write social stories using 'widgit' which is a computer programme you can buy using stick men and symbols to tell the story. You basically type in the story and as you type, the pictures come up. I think at the age of your cildren photos of them would have more impact. We always make 2 copies of their social story, one to keep at school and the other to go home to be read. The other thing we do is to have visual timetables for the class and for those individual children who need them and they really help with routines. Try www.twinkl.co.uk and type in visual timetable for pictures that could help you. We have a child with downs this year and she has several visual timetables for different routines eg. the order of doing things when she goes to the toilet (these are stuck to the wall in the toilet) and a getting dressed for PE one in a little flip book so that she gets undressed and dressed again after PE in the right order.

Deb

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)