Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Making Books

Hi, I am planning on making a book with my class of reception children, I would like it to be some kind of retelling / or following style of a popular story but one that I can include the children in using photographs and text

I've got the idea, but so far I'm getting stumped on thinking of a story to start from that I could adapt...

once the ball is rolling, may also make story into a powerpoint presentation....

any ideas for books to start from........

Thank you in anticipation!!!!!!!

Hi

Hope this is of use as I frequently use photographs of the children for stories. Sometimes I simply let them talk about what they are doing in the photographs and use these as a 'What we can do' or 'Our visit to/ walk around'. Or perhaps they could role play a story, finger pupets etc. Perhaps it could be based on a simple repeating text e.g. Brown, bear (illustrator Eric Carle can' t remember author). So it could be ' Lucy, Lucy what can you see- I see Thomas looking at me' etc with appropriate photographs of children. What about using a rhyme 'Iwent to school one morning and I walked like this' children providing actions etc. Also do you intend to write/ type text/ what they say or are the children going to write text. I have used a mixture of both but not generally in the same books (have one child who does not like to engage in any writing, whatever the medium although in order to gain his participation I now scribe whatever he says. Children are always curious about the red highlight which appears when the spelling is not recognised!!!!!!!!

:o Hi dont know if this will be of any use to you. But I had to plan activities to help devlop children's emergent writing. I introduced a daily planning diary. The children made and designed their own diaries. And at group time the children were asked to draw and 'write' about something they enjoyed doing that day. This was a great success as the children really enjoyed having their own personal diaries. Hope this was of some use to you

some great ideas, thank you

i hope to take the completed book with me to australia on a study visit looking at early years, so hope to use book as way of introducing children I work with, and a traditional tale..

am thinking about making a class version of story, where they make collage of characters, and just follow the usual story, and a separate one with photos eg Grace Grace what do you see - I see Tom looking at me etc

any more ideas gratefully received

Cheers

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)