Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Basic Concept Checklist

Please can anyone help?

I am looking for a basic concept checklist. I would like to teach basic concepts to an EAL child in my nursery. I would like to buy 'Living Language' by Anne Locke, but cannot locate a copy. So, I wondered if anyone has a list of basic concepts that I could use as a checklist so that I can teach the concepts in the right order.

Many thanks!

x

There's a 'right' order?? Do you mean things like colours, shapes, number?

I would say colours first then shapes with numbers alongside but I have nothing to base that on!

Yes, linguistic concepts are divided into four levels (relevant to pre F1 to F2). So, level one concepts e.g. size, are heavy and little; level two, are empty, fat, full, long, small, biggest.

The levels include colour, texture, sound, shape, size, movement, quantity, space, time, number, personal qualities and quality. BUT, I would like to know which concept I should focus on first. It could be that it doesn't actually matter, so long as you start with what the child already knows and build on this - I would just like to know if there is an order of importance. If anyone can help, I would be very grateful!!

Ooooooooh that does ring a bell now - I have a feeling it's in the Elklan training (that I did really well in as well LOL!!) The books are at work - I'll try really hard to remember to bring them home tomorrow if nobody answers in the meantime

I would say from experience though that what you said is best - about building on what they already know. We have found that lots of our EAL children have seemed to understand number but have counted in their own language (presumably) so we have started with English number names.

Ooooooooh that does ring a bell now - I have a feeling it's in the Elklan training (that I did really well in as well LOL!!) The books are at work - I'll try really hard to remember to bring them home tomorrow if nobody answers in the meantime

I would say from experience though that what you said is best - about building on what they already know. We have found that lots of our EAL children have seemed to understand number but have counted in their own language (presumably) so we have started with English number names.

Yes, it is part of the Elklan training - I did it many years ago and have tried in vain ever since to find the Living Language book! Just wondered if there are any SaLTs or anyone with more knowledge than I have out there!!

X

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)