Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Magic

One of the teachers on here uses a magic trick to teach shapes. In a box I think they put in a 2d shape such as a square and then using a wand tap the box and pull out a cube could you do something along those lines?

Does he have any role play stuff he could wear to pre-school? Could he and a few friends put on a show, ours are always putting on a show, selling tickets, putting out chairs etc. You could make him a couple of props to use - tie lots of hankies together and he can produce them from his pocket or something. Teach him lots of ways to say magic words, hey presto, abracadbra, izzy wizzy let's get busy. His "tricks" don't really have to work - bit like when they tell you a joke to be honest they are not always funny are they?

Could you teach him to play find the lady but in a simple format? or the coin behind the ear trick.

what about using art?

For instance drawing a picture on white paper with white wax crayon then colour washing over it. where the crayon is the paint won't show.

Make magic potions eg glitter bottles

They are lovely ideas, you can still get those magic pens in WH Smith, you draw with one colour and use the white one to change the colour of the first.

You could write spells and maybe adapt the silly soup activity by using a couldron and getting the children to come up with a wizardy/ witchy name for it (batty brew??) and put in lots of things like funny frogs and smelly socks etc. getting the children to suggest other things that could go in and then coming up with alliterative names for them.

I remember doing something like this once on the run up to halloween. I can't remember exactly what I did but it was something like:

I got a picture of a witch on the SMART board and had either a speech bubble or a letter from her asking us to make a spell for some problem she had (it was something like she'd accidentally turned her cat green and couldn't figure out how to turn it back to black and all the other witches were laughing at her). I got a big plastic cauldron and we put in all the (imaginary) ingredients with lots of theatrics, e.g. I passed round the smelly sock and the children all held it with the very tips of their fingers and pulled disgusted faces, then the funny frog bounced from child to child across the circle until I managed to catch it and get it in the cauldron! Next I used the SMART board and made the background black and wrote with a fluorescent green pen and we wrote the recipe, then somehow at the end and I can't remember for the life of me what I did, I got all the children to wave their magic wands and say the magic words and we did the magic and it worked! Maybe I had a picture of the green cat on the screen and as the children were busy waving their wands I pressed the next page button to reveal the same cat but black. All I remember for definite is that the children were really excited and truly believed they had done magic! Haha I love working with kids, it's so much fun :o

Thank you so much for those lovely ideas. He loves anything to do with magic or wizards. I will add all of these to my planning.

Thanks again.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)