Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Ofsted Foundation Stage Co-ordinators Questions?

Hi all

We are waiting for the dreaded phone call from Ofsted as we are long over due! Could anyone give me ideas of what questions the inspectors will ask of the Foundation Stage Co-ordinator? Any ideas would be really appreciated, really want to try my best! Thanks everyone :o

Edited by Guest

I was interviewed for about an hour and the inspector was lovely! Interpretation of data seemed to be the main topic of conversation. So I had prepared ready and was up to date with all the paper work, she wanted to know where they came in on the profile, how much progress in each area, where the gaps were and what had I put into place to address them. She wanted to know how I planned to ensure needs and childrens interests were met. She took the children's learning journeys and looked through them and asked my to talk through some of the evidence I use to arrive at a judgement. Another thing she was interested in was the progress of certain groups specifically children with free school meals and SEN children (and I think this is something they will all ask whatever the school ) so luckily my head had warned me and I had the info and data ready for my FSM and SEN children. She asked me what my focus for reception was this year (talk for writing) and what I was putting into place and then she asked me how I would move reception forward next year and I talked her through that. She also asked about what we did to involve parents in their children's learning and also about our transition from pre school. She also asked about what we did to encourage boys with writing.. She also asked about our child protection procedures which slightly stumped me but I just told her that if we were concerned about a child in any way we started a notebook for them and wrote down things they said or did or if they had suspicious injuries and then photocopied the book for the head teacher who is our designated child protection person to deal with and also talked about how we risk assess our play areas and teach the children how to play safely in them.

Hope that helps (it was contrary to what I had imagined quite a pleasant experience!)

Deb

Hi

yes definitely know your data and any relevant actions inside out.

I also really made sure that I celebrated all the good things we do, even though she didn't specifically ask this, I told her anyway!

From my ofsted experiences i would say a lot of it is being confident to talk about what you are doing and why. For example an inspector really quizzed me on why there were no numberlines outside (we had just had a freak tornado, and everything had blown away the night before true story!!!!!) but I talked about how our focus for outside was around physical dev and I backed this up with research and actions etc. And then showed her some other number resources specifically designed for outside and she was happy with that. So what I'm saying is just be confident in your own practice!

lwr x

I had OFSTED just before the summer holidays. When interviewed I was asked all of the data and planning questions previously mentioned and was also asked about safeguarding - in particular what risk assessments I do on a daily, termly and yearly basis.

I wish I had taken the attitude that 'hey I'm great at this and I want them to see that' from day one. It was only only the second day of the visit when I came around to this determined point of view and my true skills as a reception teacher shone - do it with confidence.

I had OFSTED just before the summer holidays. When interviewed I was asked all of the data and planning questions previously mentioned and was also asked about safeguarding - in particular what risk assessments I do on a daily, termly and yearly basis.

I wish I had taken the attitude that 'hey I'm great at this and I want them to see that' from day one. It was only only the second day of the visit when I came around to this determined point of view and my true skills as a reception teacher shone - do it with confidence.

THANK YOU so much that is such a big help!!!!! Now just to get myself prepared and to wait for their arrival.

Brownie xxxx

Hi Devonmaid our lead inspector was John Eadie and my Early years lady was called Charlotte sorry can't remember her surname why?

I just wondered who the inspection service provider (ISP) was - rather than the name of the lead inspector. I believe there are 3 - CfBT Education Trust covers the contract area for the North of England, Serco covers the Midlands and Tribal Group the South of England (info on NUT website). I just wondered, if it were the same ISP, whether they would have the same way of inspecting and ask the same type of questions - no other reason! :o

didn't know that that there were 3 different inspection service providers. I am in Gloucestershire so not sure which we would come under sometimes we're classed as midlands and sometimes south.

Deb

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)