Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

What Does Your Store Cupboard Look Like?

Hi

I've just finished my GTP & have my own class, I have inherited a reception classroom inclusive of lots of 'TOYS', the cupboard seems to be full of construction (there is a place for it I know, but that's all there seems to be)

The draws in the classroom are well stocked but with games that need adult support......I'm having an 'is it me', moment, I think I'm struggling to get my head around the resources I have & the way in which I teach.

I thought it may make me feel better if I knew what other out there are doing.....so I was wondered do you guys have a mix of resources, ie natural, home made items, linked topic boxes, sensory and tactile resources etc?

Hope this makes sense, thanks Nicky X

Hi

I've just finished my GTP & have my own class, I have inherited a reception classroom inclusive of lots of 'TOYS', the cupboard seems to be full of construction (there is a place for it I know, but that's all there seems to be)

The draws in the classroom are well stocked but with games that need adult support......I'm having an 'is it me', moment, I think I'm struggling to get my head around the resources I have & the way in which I teach.

I thought it may make me feel better if I knew what other out there are doing.....so I was wondered do you guys have a mix of resources, ie natural, home made items, linked topic boxes, sensory and tactile resources etc?

Hope this makes sense, thanks Nicky X

Although I'm not currently working in reception I thought I would get things started here. Obviously I don't know exactly what you have or what you might wish to see there but those lovely natural, sensory resources and pre-made topic boxes tend to be beyond school budgets, particularly if they haven't bothered to invest 'little and often' in updating their reception resources.

This being the case a full audit of what you have might throw some light on a few key items that you really need. Take a look at your games and sort them into those which are useful and relevant and those which are not (if they are quite old then some may not really be appropriate anymore). Then look further to those which you think the children could probably play by themselves after they have been demonstrated as an adult led activity. Once this is done have a look at any other resources and what they might be used for.

Once this is done you might be in a better position to see if there is anything you're really lacking. I know I've often created things like topic boxes from what has been available. If there is any money and you feel you are lacking small world figures these might be something to get on to the headteacher about, although you say you have a lot of toys so perhaps you do have these already. Apart from that there are many things you can make or collect yourself (my previous class loved making pictures and small worlds with things like acorns, chestnuts, sticks, leaves and pine cones). Not sure if this is what you were asking but hopefully it might be some use.

When I inherited my classroom I threw away lots of things (well donated to a charity shop if suitable). Don't be scared, if you know you won't use it or the kids won't then don't keep it.

See what the children play with and set different things out to see if it takes their interest. If games need a lot of support and you don't have the adults then see if another year group may benefit from them.

Also what is your outside area like? Would any of your resources benefit from being in an outside storage unit for the children? It may free up your classroom a bit but allow you to keep hold of things you are unsure of.

Good luck

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)