Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Outstanding Letters & Sounds Session

Hi there - i really need some help and am hoping you guys & gals will be able to provide some inspiration / pointers for me. I have na interview this week & as part of the process am being observed for a letters & sounds session - it's a phase 2 focus - intorducing the sound f / focusing on oral blending /segmenting. I'm looking for some inspirational / out of the box ideas which will WOW the observers.

All ideas gratefully recieved!

I begin with flashing the previous sounds taught and then we go on a magic carpet ride. I have a magic wand which makes a sound and we first put on a helmet and strap ourselves in then I move the magic wand over them and the magic carpet takes off (cue bouncy clouds and narrowly missing an aeroplane etc) we then float above the clouds looking down and and spotting things beginning with whatever the previous days sound was. We then come in to land at a land where everything begins with the letter of the day. I make up a story with lots of things beginning with that letter and using the children whose names begin with that sound in my story. I then teach the action to remember that sound (jolly phonics) and our visit to that land and we return home again. I get them in talk partners to tell each other what theings by story had beginnning with the letter and we record this as a class on a sheet of card which is added to our sounds wall. After that I teach the formation and we split into groups to do things like chalking/water painting the letter outside. This is long enough I find for them to sit on the carpet so I tend to pick up the blending and segmenting aspect at other times of the day (eg when they are having their milk/fruit sid the puppet comes out and he only talks in sound talk and they have to say the words that sid is saying)

Hope that helps

Deb

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)