Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Ba Hons In Education

I completed my early years foundation degree with the OU and have just started the BA Hons in Education (1 year top up). For my next assignment I need to do some research but I havn't a clue what to do or how to put my questions. I was thinking about phonics or EAL. Can anyone help as I am ready to throw my rattle out of the pram :o

What about combining your 2 ideas? I started thinking recently about how different languages have different sounds in them and letters are pronounced differently (e.g. in spanish z is pronounced 'th'). And some languages have sounds in them that other languages don't have at all so after a while children lose the ability to make some sounds (I read a really interesting thing about that years ago but can't remember what it was, sorry)... So surely teaching phonics to children with EAL could be very tricky when it comes to teaching letters or sounds that are different to their own language.

Depends how many words you've got to write though because this could be a pretty long and in depth one. I don't know if there's already been much research into this but you'd think there must be wouldn't you?

Don't make the mistake I did with my dissertation though and choose something with not as much research already out there. I thought it'd be good because it was a new idea but it made finding quotes and references very difficult!

What about combining your 2 ideas? I started thinking recently about how different languages have different sounds in them and letters are pronounced differently (e.g. in spanish z is pronounced 'th'). And some languages have sounds in them that other languages don't have at all so after a while children lose the ability to make some sounds (I read a really interesting thing about that years ago but can't remember what it was, sorry)... So surely teaching phonics to children with EAL could be very tricky when it comes to teaching letters or sounds that are different to their own language.

Depends how many words you've got to write though because this could be a pretty long and in depth one. I don't know if there's already been much research into this but you'd think there must be wouldn't you?

Don't make the mistake I did with my dissertation though and choose something with not as much research already out there. I thought it'd be good because it was a new idea but it made finding quotes and references very difficult!

Thanks! It has given me food for thought :-)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)