Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Help Needed For A Parent

ONE OF MY PARENTS ASKED ME FOR ADVICE AND I WAS A BIT STUMPED.

HER 23 MONTH OLD DAUGHTER IS GOING THROUGH A PHASE OF DRAWING ON THE SETTEE/WALLS ETC.

THE USUAL PUNISHMENT FOR BOTH GIRLS IS NORMALLY 2 MINS ON THE NAUGHTY STEP BUT THIS DOESN'T BOTHER HER AT ALL.

SHE KNOWS WHY SHE IS ON THE STEP AND WHY THE DRAWING IS WRONG BUT STILL DOES IT AGAIN.

I SUGGESTED USING ANOTHER PUNISHMENT THAT WOULD BOTHER HER -APPARENTLY NOT BEING ABLE TO WEAR HER FAVOURITE T SHIRT WOULD WORK

ANY OTHER SUGGESTIONS??

Will my Mummy head on and 3 x 2 year olds here.... I would remove the colouring pencils/ pens etc and only allow them to be used when supervised even if that means sat in highchairs or at the table, when using them praise for using them appropriately- I like the way you are drawing on the PAPER with your pen...

L

Could the mum try to provide some off-cuts of material (some interior shops will give old sample books) and some wallpaper samples as large as possible (Homebase, B&Q etc) so the child can experience drawing on different textures, kind of meeting her half way - "this is acceptable (and gets you some nice positive attention), the furniture and walls are not - and as suggested means the temporary removal of the offending writing implements. Maybe it's attention seeking behaviour and she's enjoying mum's reaction.

My youngest daughter went through a phase of drawing on everything and it didn't matter what consequences she faced, she just did it anyway. Of all my children she never seemed bothered at all, she is just that sort of character. In the end I did as the others suggested and just restricted access until she'd grown out of it. There was no point 'locking horns' with her as it got us nowhere and just made life unpleasant all round.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)