Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Staffing In A Governor Led Pre-school

Hi all,

First of all hello to everyone again. I used to be on here under a different name (kathrynmc), but my LA stopped paying the subscription. Anyway, v pleased to have rejoined as I've really missed it!

Really, really need some advice. We are starting a governor led on-site pre-school, which is very exciting. However, we are getting conflicting advice as to the staff we need. I have spoken to my LA, the DfE, Ofsted....but no one can give me a definitive answer.

We were under the impression that for 3 year olds there needed to be a 1:8 ratio and the manager needed a minimum Level 3 qualification. However, it was pointed out to us that there is a section in the Appendix of the EYFS statutory guidance stating that for children 3 and over in maintained school 'nursery classes' there must a 'School teacher' present at all times. We know for a fact that there are several other governor led pre-schools in the county who do not have teachers on their staff. I have tried to find out if we will count as a nursery class, or whether a pre-school is different. Our funding will not stretch to a teacher, and if this is the case we may have to re-think. What seems ridiculous is that if we were a committee run pre-school or in a private school we would not need a teacher. I'm the Reception teacher and I am going to oversee the pre-school, but I don't know of this is enough?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Sorry this is such a ramble, hope it makes sense!

I run a governor-led pre-school too.

We continue to adopt the Pre-school Learning Alliance constitution and have parents on the governing body. Well we have a separate governing body with representatives of the school GB and staff and parents of pre-school.

Our wages come out of pre-school money (government funding, fees from those too young to claim the funding and fundraising) so although we are 'run' by the school, we are not paid from their budget and so count as a pre-school rather than a nursery class.

You are right that the ratio is 1:8, the manager must be at least level 3 and half of the remaining staff must have at least level 2.

I came in after all the running round but believe me we went through a minefield of rules and regs to be taken over by the school! We have been lucky enough to get a grant for a new building and when we tried to get Ofsted to come out to register it they decided that actually we came under the school's registration and we could pretty much do what we want :o

We're a bit miffed really as now when the school get inspected we will be a paragraph in that if we're lucky rather than having our own report.

It's all a bit bonkers and I don't think anyone really knows what's right! My advice is to always take names of people that advise you and if possible get it in writing then if someone else questions the validity you have some evidence of why.

Thank you so much for your reply. Its really helpful to find out what others are doing. We have had so much conflicting advice and nobody really seems to be able to answer our questions! Thats really good advice to try and get answers in writing, especially as everyone I speak to tells me something different!!

We are having an old building renovated and at the moment the pre-schoolers are in my room (with Reception) which has its advantages and disadvantages... I know that once we're up and running it will all be of huge benefit to the children and the school, but the process of getting it all going is something of a nightmare!!

• 4 years later...

Hi all,

First of all hello to everyone again. I used to be on here under a different name (kathrynmc), but my LA stopped paying the subscription. Anyway, v pleased to have rejoined as I've really missed it!

Really, really need some advice. We are starting a governor led on-site pre-school, which is very exciting. However, we are getting conflicting advice as to the staff we need. I have spoken to my LA, the DfE, Ofsted....but no one can give me a definitive answer.

We were under the impression that for 3 year olds there needed to be a 1:8 ratio and the manager needed a minimum Level 3 qualification. However, it was pointed out to us that there is a section in the Appendix of the EYFS statutory guidance stating that for children 3 and over in maintained school 'nursery classes' there must a 'School teacher' present at all times. We know for a fact that there are several other governor led pre-schools in the county who do not have teachers on their staff. I have tried to find out if we will count as a nursery class, or whether a pre-school is different. Our funding will not stretch to a teacher, and if this is the case we may have to re-think. What seems ridiculous is that if we were a committee run pre-school or in a private school we would not need a teacher. I'm the Reception teacher and I am going to oversee the pre-school, but I don't know of this is enough?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Sorry this is such a ramble, hope it makes sense!

Hi

Just wondered if you could update me. This is something we are looking at and like you getting conflicting advice. I was of the opinion that it had to be teacher led and therefore be classed as a nursery. But been told that it can be a governor led pre-school, at the school, come under the school, be called a pre-school and continue to be led by lev 3 pre-school manager. Anyone else got any advice? We would be paid by the school which is an academy.

Thanks for any info.