Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Chill Out Music

Over the past couple of mnths we have started using relaxation music as a background for play.

We started it for us but have found that it is providing a much calmer session.

We ask at the begining of a session if the children would like music on and then what would they like. They seem to enjoy the relaxation music and will play and dance to it.

We don't use it every session but do find when the little darlings are testing our patience, we put it on and within 5/10 mins, the mood of the room has changed.

I know in some schools they use this method.

Net :oxD

Sounds (excuse the pun) like a good idea Net,

I read an article about this recently but wondered if the children stop "hearing" the music if on for too long. In the scout hall I rent they have a sound system ( tapes not CD) where I can turn speakers on at one end of hall and off at the other :D , so this is why playing music does interest me.

Have you any titles you recommend?

Peggy

the accelerated learning website www.alite.co.uk i think it is suggest some titles for different lifts (of course they suggest their own cds) - ie: calming, energisers and so on, but i managed to make up my own versions once inspired and although i remember it worked well last year I have let it lapse this year.

let me know how you get one - i would love to reinstate this

Regards

Michaelle x

We have noticed this too and if we want them to go wild we put on something like Baggy Trousersw by Madness.

Hi all.. We use a wide range of music in our setting. Most is from cd's I have downloaded and made up myself although I also have a selcetion of chill out music here that they love to listen to. A firm favourite is a thunderstorm one, which is ideal as just background music but also good for concentrated listening where the children love to pretend to splash in the rain and make lots of noise for the thunder. We use the typical kiddies songs, we have played traditional music , Irish being the firm favourite, and I have downloaded music from many different cultures that they enjoy. In fact the children and staff danced for ages to the irish one and we were all exhausted after. :(:D They also now like The Corrs. Another few firm favouirtes are shreks karaoke dance party and the hokey cokey. The children will ask for these. We also love Black Laces version of music man. :oxDxD:( I know its old and some may never have heard of it but the kids absolutley love it. I have it in my shared docs if anyone wants me to try to send the file to them. :) It not only has the music man bit they all know and love, but the dambusters where they love to be aeroplanes, football chants which encourages lots of chanting and arm waving, scottish bagpipe style, encourageing the highlands fling. We even have a member of staff that begs to be allowed (and makes me a cup of coffee while begging me) to put it on before lunch as a manic five minutes to get the appetite going. Great excercise! :( :wacko:

ok. I know I've gone right off the topic of chill out music there. Perhaps I should have started a new thread.. Manic music. Sorry :rolleyes: :unsure:

Hi all.. We use a wide range of music in our setting. Most is from cd's I have downloaded and made up myself although I also have a selcetion of chill out music here that they love to listen to. A firm favourite is a thunderstorm one, which is ideal as just background music but also good for concentrated listening where the children love to pretend to splash in the rain and make lots of noise for the thunder. We use the typical kiddies songs, we have played traditional music , Irish being the firm favourite, and I have downloaded music from many different cultures that they enjoy.  In fact the children and staff danced for ages to the irish one and we were all exhausted after.  :(  :D  They also now like The Corrs. Another few firm favouirtes are shreks karaoke dance party and the hokey cokey. The children will ask for these. We also love Black Laces version of music man.  :o  xD  xD  :(  I know its old and some may never have heard of it but the kids absolutley love it. I have it in my shared docs if anyone wants me to try to send the file to them.  :)  It not only has the music man bit they all know and love, but the dambusters where they love to be aeroplanes, football chants which encourages lots of chanting and arm waving, scottish bagpipe style, encourageing the highlands fling. We even have a member of staff that begs to be allowed (and makes me a cup of coffee while begging me)  to put it on before lunch as a manic five minutes to get the appetite going. Great excercise!  :(  :wacko:

ok. I know I've gone right off the topic of chill out music there. Perhaps I should have started a new thread.. Manic music. Sorry  :rolleyes:  :unsure:

33178[/snapback]

Yes please Amethyst, I've sent you a PM.

Peggy

I too use chill out music on occasions, not regularly and they do seem to like it for short periods and it does seem to calm them down for a while. I picked up a load of really cheap CD's from Sainsbury's - tropical rain forest type music, digeridoo music, sea etc. They are worth keeping in the music box. During our wild animals topic I wanted to play the tropical forst music from one CD and have the animal sounds from those lotto type boards on the other - guess what couldn't find the animal sounds tape s0 we just cruised down in a big cardboard canoe to the sound of the rain forest music - would have worked really well had I had the animal sounds. Sometimes I get them to lie down, close their eyes and think of somewhere they would like to be - a bit like your yoga meditation sessions - sometimes work sometimes doesn't and all the staff hate the music.!!

Nikki

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)