Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Out And About

Hi our topic for this half term is 'out and about' - I have some ideas for journeys, however myself and the nursery teacher decided not to focus so much on holidays as lots of children don't have them and look more at our local area. Any ideas please? :)

Quite a broad topic - have you seen any of the BBC Come Outside videos? They are full of Out and About stuff!

Some things you could do off the top of my head:

Look at street furniture (pillar boxes, phone boxes, street lights etc)

See if there is any house or roof building going on near you to show the children

Visit the local supermarket/ library/ post office etc

Visit the local park and look at the differences between different areas

Look at different types of houses in your local streets

Investigate what animals live in your outdoor area/ park etc

Going on a bear hunt is a good story for adapting to wherever you want to take the children

Take photos of local area for the children to identify

I'm sure there are LOADS more ideas out there...

looking at maps. I have a fantastic book that shows you the towns, coastlines etc fom the air. We have also made simple journey maps and the children have to say haw they come to pre school and what they pass etc.

We also have used a large town map and marked off where the children live and then put pictures of pillar boxes, phone boxes etc as this is what they register on the way to pre school.

Net x

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)