Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Planning For "homes"

Hi, I'm trying to write this term's medium term planner. We had a brief brainstormimg session at the end of half term and decided to do "Homes" which is a new topic for us. We came up with "My Home" concentrating on kitchen and bedroom, "Animal Homes" and "Fairytale Homes". I am struggling to think of many activities to go with these sub-topics. Any ideas anyone? Thanks in advance,

Karen

Although I havent done homes as a topic in its own right - we did a bit in a topic about autumn I think. Anyway we made a large tree with a hole in so the children could go inside. and put in animals that would live in or on the tree and the children added them as we went along. ie: started with squirrels, hedgehogs birds bats spiders etc. A few information books inside. Of course you will have your own home corner which you could keep adding visitors and surprises too, such as a delivery of a surprise parcel, letter, an unexpected guest etc... Or you could make an igloo, wigwam, caravan. tent , castle. etc... and of course there are the poor 3 bears who got their home invaded!

Linked some activities matching homes ie- a dog with a kennel, rabbit with a hole, fish and tank etc.... Matching items of furniture in the correct rooms of their house. Draw pictures of their own bedroom, make a home for teddy, or a book character using construction, large boxes. Some older children did some great interior design plans using an old ikea catalogue!

You could do a bit around bob the builder, building sites, percy the park keeper.

I think Scholastic do a planning bank called homes, whereas dont tend to use much in the way of photocopiables they often have good starting points - think there is an infant project mag around too.

Sure some kind person will post some plans for you but in the meantime I will keep looking around.

Good Luck sounds like an exciting topic.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)