Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Reception Weekly Planning Format

Hi everyone

I wonder if people would be really kind and share their weekly guided planning formats with me? I am trying to change ours. The planning format that is in place now is the same as the Year 1 & Year 2 format. It has learning intentions, success criteria, key questions, adult led input, HA, MA,LA activities and plenary on it.

I used this in Year 2 and found that I was putting things on it and never covering them as I did day 1 then followed the children's lead. We only have to plan for 3 days then reflect.

I want a format that is proactive and allows for amendments.

I've revamped the continuous provision one and am happy with that, its just the adult guided ones.

I feel like I am going round in circles and have googled lots of LEAs but just don't seem to be getting anywhere (too much info now I think!)

Really hope you can help!

Thanks

Gem

Here's an example of the weekly planner I use:

Short_Term_Plan_example_2_.doc

I print it up as a blank documant and I enlarge it to A3.

The in the 6 areas of learning section are general activities based on the children's day to day interests/needs, I put the aspect of learning in brackets.

The focus activities are small group activities often linked to the whole class activity. I do have a separate focus activity sheet which I will complete if it requires more description.

The activities based on individual children's plans are also written on the left hand side, these can be incorporated into 6 area section or focus activities.

The planner works well for me and my TA, we don't need really detailed plans because we discuss what to do for differentiation between children. I don't feel I should have to write everything I am going to say or do for each lesson on my plans.

Hi thanks for taking the time to respond and for such a comprehensive planning format. I've printed it out. It certainly looks more like the planning that I would like to use rather than the reams of paper that is in place at the moment!

Gem

HI - I loved the ST plan. Are the 6 area boxes al activities put out for continuous provision enhancements, and based around the children's interests on the left?

Hi Quinny. The 6 area boxes are for activities which are usually continuous provision enhancements, they are based on the general interests of the children and are usually put out for children to access independently. There maybe some adult input at first, just to model the activities, but then the children are free to access them when they choose.

For example with PSRN: on Tuesday this week (the children's first day) I put out sorting beads onto stick bases in the maths area, quite a few children visited it and independently sorted the beads by colour. We decided to change the activity to magnetic shapes today to see what they would do. Only 1 child accessed the shapes, so tomorrow we have decided to put a sorting activity back out, this time with numerals to extend their learning.

I will incorporate the activities planned for the 3 focus children's into the 6 area boxes and sometimes the focus activities at the bottom.

• 1 year later...

Hiya,

Am I right to think that you only have 2 sheets of paper for your planning per week? Sorry if the question is obvious :) I love it and it is so manageable. Right now I have 4 sheets and I feel it is far too much, tiny print, full of objectives that actually won't necessarily be achieved. Are you using it for the new curriculum too?

Hi Mona Lisa,

I have changed my planner since. Here's the updated version:Short Term Plan example.doc

This is the only class planner I have for the week. I also have Continuous provision plans and 3 Individual Children's plans per week.

The spontaneous planning section is blank at the beginning of the week, I handwrite this (the one I have uploaded is just an example of what I might write). It has been successful and I have covered quite a lot of the 7 areas.

The focus activities are taken from some of the suggested activities on the focus children's individual plans.

I am finding it very manageable and useful so far and we're carrying out all activities detailed on the plan.

Edited by millhill

I am finding this planning interesting but how do you organise groups to achieve the DM statements. How often do you change your continious provision, can you show me an example of this? We have started observing 3 children in detail weekly (alongside other children's spontaneous obs) and write up a weekly account of learning. How does your individual children's plan look? Do you plan for each focus activity on another sheet? If not, how does your TA know what you want the children to achieve? I really want to use this way of planning as it looks great!

Thanks Menorca.

In response to your questions:

I generally do not organise groups to achieve the DM statements, children are asked to come to the activity and we will adapt it for each child based on their stage of development.

For guided reading (which I don't do until the end of the autumn term/early spring term...depending on the children's abilities), I group them according to their phonic knowledge and reading skills.

I don't change my continuous provision plans as they have a list of possible enhancements that can be made, so they last all year round.

My individual plan is a grid with the 7 areas of learning and a section for the Characteristics of Learning. I will write a couple of activities in each section for the child's next steps. Some of these are used as the next week's focus activities, others are carried out as and when.

I don't have a separate focus activity sheet. I used to do this and it wasn't needed, so it became a waste of time. My TA is quite experienced, I just tell her what the LO is and the questions/language she might use and she gets on fine.

After many years of trialling different planning formats, this has been the best for me so far.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)