Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Journeys

HELP!!! Any ideas for a topic on Journeys for next half term...got Year R all day and Year 1 as well in the afternoons!!! Up to my ears in reports so my brain is pickled! Any good ideas for journeys and also any books...Got the snail and the whale and rosies walk but now i'm stuck!!!!

Rosies walk is lovely for map work and position language- you could tie this in with the Jolly Postman- gives you another type of journey- this makes a lovely topic in itself.

You could explore where the children go on holiday- how do they get there? Are the countries the same as England?

Is it possible for you to look at differnt journeys each week and then go on different types of transport eg trains, canal boat, coach etc..

It is a topic we are considering for next year so i will watch with interest.

L

Love, your Bear Pete. By Dyan Sheldon ISBN 0-744502545-4

Pete gets left on a bus but sends postcards from places he visits.

'The Train Ride' can't remember who it's by, is very good. Very repetative so could easily be used for writing activity.

Harricroft

I've used Winnie the Pooh stories as they have maps in them, good as a starting point. We did watch Piglet's Big Movie as a starting point once, and we sequenced the stories, made 3D maps of the friends' journies to rescue Piglet, made a great big board display of a journey.

Marie

What about John Burningham's Mr Gumpy's outing? Also journey's that happen in trad tales. Gingerbread man, Red Riding Hood, Goldilocks.

Last year doing transport I found a good website about buses with fun interactive things to do. Sunnydown buses may get you there?!

Angela

What about making carriages from a train - paint 2 to 3 big carboard boxes and link together. Source loads of maps - walkie talkies - newspapers and magaazines for the waiting room - brains gone - too late now I'll give it some more thought tomorrow

Nikki

Mrs Armitage On Wheels and others about Mrs A, by Quentin Blake.

I am going to try and tell stories in my own words and get kids to concentrate on illustrations. Also want to inspire them to plan and make own bicycles- going to just put lots of materials out and get them designing.

Also

Pirates (roleplay)

Spaceship "

Where the Wild Things Are

Going On A Bear Hunt

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)