Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Medium Term Plans On Summer?

I have to write a medium term plan for 2 parallel classes of Reception children on the topic of Summer incorporating Plan Do and Review. As I have never written MTPs before nad have no resources on Summer (can you relaly fill 7 weeks with it?) I am struggling. Any helpful suggestions?

Hi there,

And welcome! Well, have done this topic before, so will sort stuff out, but not available right now. Make yourself at home and look forward to getting to know you.

Sue :D

Hi jenwen

welcome to the forum.

I suppose it depends on what approach you take but you could look at weather, what we do in the summer e.g. go on holiday, have barbeques, go on trips etc. You could look at the animals/bugs that are about during the summer-bats are often seen at this time of year even in towns, bees, butterflies, ladybirds. Look at flowers and trees-what do we have about during the summer, roses, blossom, honeysuckle, leaves on trees etc. That could be quite a good activity looking at the different leaves on trees, comparing sizes, shapes.

I think you could probably find lots to fill seven weeks with-possibly more. Good luck and I hope this starts you off with some ideas.

Linda

My topic is also Summer. At my setting we use the Practical Pre Schools- Planning for Learning through Summer book as a starting point. It has week by week planning, each week has a theme e.g. Detecting Summer, Summer Fruits, Summer Flowers, holidays. Each week has activities which cover the learning goals. Although i wouldnt do it word for word it is a good starting point and helps with a few ideas.

ISBN 1-902438-20-5.

Hi jenwen and welcome! :D

Summer is so broad you could cover almost anything, and seven weeks is not very long really when you consider all those other things that will be going on. Presumably you have a school sports day and you may even have some sort of summer fayre?

Does your school not have some planning in place already for this that you can adapt? If it is new, I presume it is not your idea or you would have more ideas, so why are you responsible for the planning?

Id start with weather and seasonal characteristics and develop it to include holidays and sun safety and also shadows. You could also include road safety and simple safety rules re stranger danger, as children are more likely to be playing outside at this time?

What planning format do you need to use? Are you planning activities within your medium term planning or just for ELG coverage? Do you remember that the planning guidance does state that we dont neccessarily need MT plans but can work straight from LT to Short and at this stage you need your holiday to recharge to get through the next half term so keep it reasonably short

Good luck.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)