Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Guided And Individual Readers?

Just a quick question, do you here both guided and individual readers every week? I am unsure how to set up my reading because parent's want books changed everyday, but i don't know how i am going to get a chance to do this with guided reading as well?

Any advice would be very much appreciated!!!

I am in year 1!

Thanks in advance

Once my children are at the stage of having home readers (usually by xmas as I am in reception) they change their books every day and that is how it is through the infants at our school. Our books are bookbanded and are outside the classroom in colour boxes in the corridoor and we train them how to change their book and give them an opportunity to change their book daily- usually a group at a time just before lunch they change their book then get ready for lunch. We do guided reading daily with the children so hear them once a week and any parent helpers we have read individually with them so they usually get 3 reads a week. Once a half term I hear the children individually in guided reading time and assess their bookband level changing if necessary. Last year I had 3 children who were struggling to get off the ground with reading and I didn't do guided reading with them, instead between my TA and me we made sure they read individually every day. Depends on how many you have in the class but if you have 30 like me, I don't think there's any way you can do individual and guided reading every week (you'd do nothing else!)

Deb

We also do pretty much the same as above. Last year I also started a reading morning. Every friday morning I have a group of parents who come in and hear the children read. By the end of the session each child has read with an adult.

Lots x

During the week every child in my class is heard individually. Once the Reception are full time, everyone is heard at least twice, we aim for three times a week. In addition to this I do a guided reading session once a week, which includes the children as soon as they can read.

Mind you I have to add that I have a parent helper in twice a week, and their job is just to change books and hear readers.

All the parents in the class know that we only change books three times a week, and they all seem reasonably happy with this. We let them know this right from day one. This way we make sure that the children are heard reading their book both at home and at school.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)