Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Holidays Topic

Hi. Trying to brainstorm some ideas for our holiday topic and I keep getting distracted. Have set up a camp, with two tents, barbeque etc. We were thinking of having a travel agents area too...(possibly in a themed writing area). I have a fishing game for water play, usual ideas for the sand, a lovely book of holiday pics, laminated aeiral shot of seaside etc any ideas...? I am supposed to be going away for 5 days next week and need to get my planning done first. :oxD

Hi there Tracy

Off the top of my head, packing a suitcase, what will you need? Could take a real one in or different sized ones and let the children actually pack things -socks in pairs

In the water could make ferries out of junk materials -how many toy cars will they carry?

Postcards sorting, writing, sending, comparing old and new,

Old photos and children's photos (and yours,)of when they were

on holiday

Looking at a globe or atlas

Look at information about resorts-maps Accommodation

Use the internet -if possiblefor looking at what can do at Disney land and Legoland

speak different language say hello-goodbye

play at rockpools in water with small world creatures

Dangers of sunshine and heat.

Sure there's lots more

Hope you have a good break

Regards Lynda

We provide picnic baskets with pretend food.

I also have my old leather suitcase, inside are a few clothes, my old teddy bear and a skipping rope. I use this as a memory game - what's in the case?

We ask all children to send the nursery a postcard when they are away - we pin these up with a map of the world.

I always talk about safety near water.

Packing suitcases.

We put our sand on the floor and made an indoor beach, very successful

Songs in other languages

role play being on an airoplane, hostess, pilot etc.

Peggy

• 1 month later...

Just an update... we had a brilliant time with this topic! Did the camp inside for a few weeks, then changed it to a travel agents. We decided to have a "camping day" we planned it with the children, what we would need, what picnic food we could have etc. Then two weeks ago we put up 5 tents in the grassy area, all children brought in picnic food, came in their holiday clothes and brought a teddy bear to the camp. It was fantastic and we were in the local papers. :D

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)