Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Planning For New Nursery - Help!

Hi all,

Well my colleague and I are now a week away from opening our brand new, purpose built nursery! After all the hassles of gaining planning permission, project managing, promoting, policy writing etc etc I am finally at the point that I need to think about some planning.

I am trained as a teacher and have worked in a Reception class for the last 4 years. At school I always planned from the children's interests and planned loose topics around the areas that the children were excited about. I then pretty much let the children lead me through the topic as to the activities that I planned. At some points I also had a mini topic running alongside in order to cater for all needs. I ususally had a daily adult initiated activity where I taught basic skills and then a Child initated activity based on previous observations.

So my question is, am I also on the right track for the nursery by using the structure I have outlined above? I can see it working for 3-4 year olds and possibly 2-3, but babies??????? We do have an experienced practioner to run the baby room but still I would like to have a clear understanding myself.

If anyone can unravel my blah, blah above and can either give me some advice or let me know I am on the right track, I would really appreciate it.

Thankyou.xx

Well done you have come so far, how exciting for you.

You sound like you are on the right track for 3-4 year olds. But remember:

The two year olds are not yet Foundation Stage; their learning needs are reflected within the Birth to Three Matters pack. But the three year olds are at the first stepping stones within the Foundation Stage - nowhere near to the early learning goals. Supportive adults need a very clear focus on the care and learning needs of two and three year olds. Otherwise, these young children may be put under pressure to measure up to expectations more appropriate for four and five year olds.

Twos and threes learn best as individuals or with one or two other children, and a supportive adult. Young children do not benefit from pressure to attend within large groups. They may manage a relaxed small group time, with songs or an active story telling session. But if they are not happy in a group session, then there should be no obligation. Under threes will steadily learn to manage social interaction in groups and they are only distressed if they are put under pressure. Pre-school should not feel like a school classroom.

Essentially under 3's play will be child initiated - so set the scene with your continuous provision - observe then plan for each individuals needs, usually on a daily basis as interests often change frequently. its hard work - but gets fantasic results for each child and this is wherre you need a good key worker with a sound knowledge of child development and skills to be able to adapt activities to bring a childs interests to life.

Good luck with everything!

Hi all,

Well my colleague and I are now a week away from opening our brand new, purpose built nursery! After all the hassles of gaining planning permission, project managing, promoting, policy writing etc etc I am finally at the point that I need to think about some planning.

I am trained as a teacher and have worked in a Reception class for the last 4 years. At school I always planned from the children's interests and planned loose topics around the areas that the children were excited about. I then pretty much let the children lead me through the topic as to the activities that I planned. At some points I also had a mini topic running alongside in order to cater for all needs. I ususally had a daily adult initiated activity where I taught basic skills and then a Child initated activity based on previous observations.

So my question is, am I also on the right track for the nursery by using the structure I have outlined above? I can see it working for 3-4 year olds and possibly 2-3, but babies??????? We do have an experienced practioner to run the baby room but still I would like to have a clear understanding myself.

If anyone can unravel my blah, blah above and can either give me some advice or let me know I am on the right track, I would really appreciate it.

Thankyou.xx

The EYFS framework is the basis for all your assessment and planning. The Birth to Three Matters is now incorporated into this document. The Development Matters, Look listen and note, Effective practice and planning and resourcing are all there from birth to 60 months :o

I also am a trained teacher (early years) recently started work in a private nursery, so know well your concerns!

Guest pamgreen

I am not sure if I have got the wrong end of the stick, I thought the EYFS brought in the Birth to three Matters and foundation stage and that all children are now classed as being in the foundation stage. I know that their learning needs are different but all children benefit from child initiated play. Sorry if I have misunderstood

Not misunderstood the eyfs (current) goes from birth to end of foundation stage

brith to 3 is not a seperate part but incorperated

couldnt agree more re child intiated

'The two year olds are not yet Foundation Stage; their learning needs are reflected within the Birth to Three Matters pack. But the three year olds are at the first stepping stones within the Foundation Stage - nowhere near to the early learning goals'.

This hasn't been the case since September 2008 when the Early Years Foundation Stage (EYFS) came into place which replaced the Birth to three matters framework and the foundation stage guidance (stepping stones). The EYFS covers children from birth-five.

I actually had to double check the date that this reply was written, as I got confused and thought it must be a really old post!!!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)