Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

New Classroom

Guest tinkerbell

Guest tinkerbell

Hi everyone

i am getting quite excited because during the summer the building works has started at my school .We are to have 2 brand new classrooms r/yr1 and yr1/yr2 and a new hall above us (we will be an extension).The old part of school will have classrooms knocked through for the 2 KS2 classes.

When we go back I am going to ask for a scale plan to work out what furniture I will need.I will of course be taking decent units,tables and chairs with me.I will have a store room whoopee !and toilet area off the classroom whoopee.I have hated the reception children having to go tothe school toilet with big boys who barge and bang the doors,I think it has frightened a few children ove rthe years.

I will have to work out where to put iwb ,at the moment the sun hits it in the afternoon.All the display boards will be at a sensible height for the children .At the moment they are above their heads (old victorian building).

So what would you recommend furniture wise ? anything you think is a must?

From experience, I would start small and increase the furniture as you need it. I did a scale plan and filled the room - we had to return some furniture when it arrived.

Look at the Communuty Playthings site for good ideas - their items have lockable wheels - a boon when rearranging the room. There is a school which has redecorated the whole school with this furniture and it looks fab - Trimdon Grange Infants, look at their website.

Also get s copy of 'Communication Friendly Environments book for excellent advice on settiong up a child friendly classroom, dwon to the colours to use on walls, etc. Good luck - I'll be doing same thing around Christmas, if the builders are on time!

Jenni

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)