Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Babies

Hi Everyone,

I have another question...sorry, thats all I seem to be doing at the moment!

I am putting the finishing touches to the baby suite with the builders and provider tomorrow. Essentially we have a three roomed interconnected (by arches) baby suite, with an enclosed kitchenette and cot room, which can take 9 cots. There is room for another cot room, I just want ask how many cots you think is feasable for a 27 baby suite. There will be other sleeping options within the suite, such as sleep pops within the rooms etc. Would 18 cots seem right.

I don't really like the idea of cot rooms and have seen some awful examples. Our cot rooms do not have solid doors but have open arches. We are trying to move away from age phased rooms for the babies, so are whole suite has been modelled on a 'free flow' theme using arches, with nappy changing facilities in each room etc.

Any advice would be great

its a tough one cupcake - cause depends on ages of babies and when they sleep - i have been to a new provision recentgly and they only have 6 cots but can take many more babies up to 20 .....

i think as long as you have enough other sleeping options you should be ok - but as i say depends on ages of babies. x

its a tough one cupcake - cause depends on ages of babies and when they sleep - i have been to a new provision recentgly and they only have 6 cots but can take many more babies up to 20 .....

i think as long as you have enough other sleeping options you should be ok - but as i say depends on ages of babies. x

Its a tricky one isnt it Hali. I am inclined to go for the original cot room (9) cots and a 'rest area' where we could have a range of cots, mats, pods etc.

Any more advice or suggestions would be great. Out of interest Hali, the 20 place baby room, where they all in together or in seperate closed off rooms?

Our three rooms, connected by arches has room for 9 each, just interested in the set up of the 20 place provision you have seen.

Another dilema I am having is this one. If we transistion babies out of the suite at say 18months into our first toddler room, will we have to provide the 3.5m2 for each 18months year old, for instance will ofsted consider our 1st toddler room to be a 'baby' room or doesn't it work like that. I am just trying to see how the occupancy will work out.

We have met the space requirements as per the welfare requirements to justify the following numbers

baby suite 3 rooms connected by arches 9 x 3, with nappy changing and hand washing sinks in each room. At present we are thinking along the lines off. this age grouping

27 Babies 3months to 18months

Toddlers 1 x 15 18months to 24 months (2yrs)

Toddlers 2 x 15 24months to 36months (3yrs)

Pre School x 40 36months to 5 +

Will Ofsted consider our 1st toddler room to be a 'baby' room because they are transitioning to that room from 18 months. If so would it be better for us to have the two year olds remain in the baby suite and transition to the 1st toddler room from 2. So essentially both toddler rooms could take toddlers aged from two to 3yrs.

Sorry if this is really confusing, thanks again for any advice or suggestions you can give me.

Hi Everyone,

I have another question...sorry, thats all I seem to be doing at the moment!

I am putting the finishing touches to the baby suite with the builders and provider tomorrow. Essentially we have a three roomed interconnected (by arches) baby suite, with an enclosed kitchenette and cot room, which can take 9 cots. There is room for another cot room, I just want ask how many cots you think is feasable for a 27 baby suite. There will be other sleeping options within the suite, such as sleep pops within the rooms etc. Would 18 cots seem right.

Just a thought really but if babies need to share cots then bedding will need to be changed between babies and that can be time consuming and a little tricky when you have a sleepy baby in your arms! When I worked in a baby room we would usually allocate full time babies their own cot and part timers would share but it also depended on ages, a very young baby will usually sleep more than an older baby, so that maybe something else to consider.

Campbells

Hi, i see many baby units all set up differently. The one i was explaining about is going to have to put mats etc down for the older babies who want to rest (this will have to be done in an area of thier main room as there will not be enough space in the cot room). As Campells says in other provisions full time babies have thier own cot and others do share but need seperate bedding etc.

I am a little confused about your rooms and which children will be in which once moving out of the baby suite - but that will not concern Ofsted how you decide to transition children through as long as your ratios and space requirements met as in the welfare standards. Hope that answers your question if not shout :o

many thanks Campbells, I like the idea of giving full time babies their own cot. Hali are three rooms are connected by arches and will have room dividers with gates that open to allow free flow. For management of the room the first room will be for our youngest babies (non mobile) next room for crawlers, last room for walkers.

Today we have finalised the plans, so as you enter the first room their is an arch off to the left with an L shaped cot room, with glass viewing panels in each wall, the space left is a sensory area for the first baby room, you then go through a gated arch into the next room where there is an arch to the left (gated) into the cot room, in the second room their is another arch into the third room. Through another arch takes you into another cot room/rest area again gated. So essentially the whole suite is visiable from different points in each rrom.

their is also baby changing in each room, with handwashing facilities and a dedicated milk kitchen for the whole suite... by the way it looks beautiful, lots of light airy rooms, the plans as they are move away from the idea of three rooms with solid doors to each. Its going to be an amazing space.

I cant thank you guys enough, you have been so very helpful xx