Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Outdoor Digging Area

Hi,

We currently have a split level area made from sleepers. Up until now we have had it filled with bark. However, we noticed that the children have enjoyed moving the bark and digging big holes at the side of this area.

I just wondered what people had success with in their digging areas. I was thinking of having sand on one level and gravel on the other - however these would become mixed over time.

Does anyone else have any ideas and I am presuming we would need to purchase play sand for this and not builders/merchants sand?

Your advice and previous experiences would be most appreciated!

I don't think the areas would become mixed over time I think they would be mixed straight away!!!!!!

We have tried having sand and compost and water but all three end up together regardless of what we say or what other resources are out.

Children like to dig and to mix and enjoy themselves!!

Just be prepared!!

Edited by Scarlettangel

I think I was misunderstood. I am not bothered about them becoming mixed. I just meant that I could choose up to two things but that they would need to mix well!! :o

Thanks

Hi Keljo

You definitely need to get play sand which, I think, is made up of specially rounded granules. These cause less pain if they get in the children's eyes. In the school where I taught we were very fortunate to have two big sand pits in which the children could dig and, at one time we also had a dedicated area filled with soil for digging. The children loved to add water to this area and to make mud pies. At times we would add vegetables to the soil so the children could pretend to be farmers/gardeners digging up their crops. Such play linked particularly well to stories such as 'The Enormous Turnip' and 'Vegetable Soup'.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)