Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Behaviour Workshop

Hi,

All my girls are on in house training next week. I have been asked to do a workshop on behaviour management.

At the minute I have put on my presentation "what does our policy say", EYFS and role play. Has anybody got any suggestions with what else I can can add, needs to be atleast two hours.

Trying to link this in with my EYP STANDARDS. :o

Any ideas will be really Appreciated.

Thanks

Tiff

Sorry response is a bit late, but didn't want you to not have any replies.

When looking at your 'behavour' policy and procedures, I would encourage the team to discuss whether they felt it was effective in meeting their needs and that of parents and children, and actually still 'fit for purpose'. To do this effectively, I would also spend some time reflecting on current best practice and ensure I was up to date with latest research with regards to encouraging positive behaviour. For me that would include lots of Googling.

Hope your training goes well.

Hi!

How about starting by making them feel a little uncomfortable? Be busy when they enter the room, have things out some labeled `touch, some `do not touch`, tell them not to sit down, perhaps `don`ts` if needed, but offer no other guidance. After a couple of minutes ask them to sit with you and discuss how they feel - compare with how a 2/3 yr old may feel, not knowing the `rules`, boundaries` or expectations when they start in a setting.

Staff own memories of behaviours at school, memories of favourite teachers, links to behaviour

Reflect on current practice how behaviour expectations are explained and supported.

Discuss merits of `positive behaviour re=inforcement - `walking thank you`, what should you be doing?, how should you...? Can you remind me why/what/how...?etc

Discuss importance of consistancey, again base around current practice - what works well.

Staff modelling good/positive behaviours

Discuss realistic expectation for different ages and stages of development

Reasons why some children may have more challenging behviours; factors which contribute eg environmental (physical/emotional), developmental, home life

and what staff do, can do, can improve, effective strategies etc

Links to EYFS, PSED, Positive relationships etc - possibly quiz; linking behaviours to stages of development

How staff support children in understanding behaviours and what strategies they offer to children to help them help themselves (eg I had a boy (3) who would get frustrated, loose his temper and quickly become agressive and destructive. Together we looked at things that made him feel angry, we talked about using his words to ask for turns (or meet need), if we saw him getting angry we would offer a hug and to help him - the hug helped him calm down (BEFORE he hit anyone or anything!) we could then help him use `kind friends` strategies. He came to recognise when he was getting frutrated, ASKed for a hug, then asked for help, eventually mostly using strategies on his own - sure you will have similar experiences yourself!

Back to start and importance of looking from childs perspective, and supporting self discipline rather than `enforce` rules.

Gosh I have waffled on!

You know how to suck eggs - Sure you will do a great job! - let us know how it goes!

Louise

Hi!

How about starting by making them feel a little uncomfortable? Be busy when they enter the room, have things out some labeled `touch, some `do not touch`, tell them not to sit down, perhaps `don`ts` if needed, but offer no other guidance. After a couple of minutes ask them to sit with you and discuss how they feel - compare with how a 2/3 yr old may feel, not knowing the `rules`, boundaries` or expectations when they start in a setting.

Staff own memories of behaviours at school, memories of favourite teachers, links to behaviour

Reflect on current practice how behaviour expectations are explained and supported.

Discuss merits of `positive behaviour re=inforcement - `walking thank you`, what should you be doing?, how should you...? Can you remind me why/what/how...?etc

Discuss importance of consistancey, again base around current practice - what works well.

Staff modelling good/positive behaviours

Discuss realistic expectation for different ages and stages of development

Reasons why some children may have more challenging behviours; factors which contribute eg environmental (physical/emotional), developmental, home life

and what staff do, can do, can improve, effective strategies etc

Links to EYFS, PSED, Positive relationships etc - possibly quiz; linking behaviours to stages of development

How staff support children in understanding behaviours and what strategies they offer to children to help them help themselves (eg I had a boy (3) who would get frustrated, loose his temper and quickly become agressive and destructive. Together we looked at things that made him feel angry, we talked about using his words to ask for turns (or meet need), if we saw him getting angry we would offer a hug and to help him - the hug helped him calm down (BEFORE he hit anyone or anything!) we could then help him use `kind friends` strategies. He came to recognise when he was getting frutrated, ASKed for a hug, then asked for help, eventually mostly using strategies on his own - sure you will have similar experiences yourself!

Back to start and importance of looking from childs perspective, and supporting self discipline rather than `enforce` rules.

Gosh I have waffled on!

You know how to suck eggs - Sure you will do a great job! - let us know how it goes!

Louise

Brilliant, thank you so much for your help.

Will let you know tomorrow,as i am presenting then.

Thanks again

Tiff x

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)