Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Are There Any Authors On The Forum?

Hello - could anyone give advice on getting a children's book published? Where to start, contacts etc. - any advice would be welcome! :o

Many thanks!

Hello Devonmaid.

I have had 4 books published by Featherstone Education, in their "Little Books" series.

I originally got in touch with Featherstone myself because at the back of another of their books it asked readers to get in touch if they had an idea for a book.

They have been taken over now by AC & Black a much bigger company.

I was also writing articles for Practical Preschool at the time and pitched the idea to them too. They also liked the idea but couldn't give any time scale for getting it published which is why I went with Featherstone.

I then went on to do my degree and book writing fell by the wayside.

I think you should get in touch with a company who publish books like the one you want to publish.

Good luck!

Edited by Scarlettangel

Many thanks scarlettangel!

When you first approach a publisher, how much information do they need i.e do you give them a résumé of the book or do they need the whole manuscript? Do they need it to be complete with illustrations? So many questions!

I think at first I pitched the idea for the book, then they asked for a few pages to look at.

My colleague had done beautiful illustrations but they didnt want them they had their own illustrators.

For subsequent books I took the photographs to go with the pages.

Would it be worth googling the companies you are interested in being publshed with and see what turns up?

After the first book then Sally Featherstone and I emailed alot about other ideas which became two more books.

The last book was published with AC & Black and was a totally different experience though still under the guidance of Sally Featherstone.

I have had 3 books published in a similar way. I emailed a few sample pages to Featherstone and Lawrence education and they then replied expressing their interests. Just keep knocking on the door and emailing publishers. From what I hear, it is much harder to get a story book published than an 'ideas' book but good luck.

I have had 3 books published in a similar way. I emailed a few sample pages to Featherstone and Lawrence education and they then replied expressing their interests. Just keep knocking on the door and emailing publishers. From what I hear, it is much harder to get a story book published than an 'ideas' book but good luck.

Many thanks for that - it is a cross between an 'ideas' book and a story book really! It is Featherstone (A&C Black) that I have initially contacted. How long is it usual to wait before you have a reply? I contacted them via email, as requested on their website.

Many thanks for that - it is a cross between an 'ideas' book and a story book really! It is Featherstone (A&C Black) that I have initially contacted. How long is it usual to wait before you have a reply? I contacted them via email, as requested on their website.

I would wait about 6 weeks then email again or ring them. Any new proposals have to be presented at their board meetings which happen monthly (I think).