Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Music For Topics

does anyone know of a website where you can find pieces of music of all types to match your topic eg music about minibeasts. i know common ones like Ugly bug ball, flight of the bumble bee. i have been searching everywhere and got nowhere. i am music coordinator in my school and am always being asked for music.

Hi Sunbeam and welcome to the forum.

Was it music in particular that you wanted or songs as well? We had a conversation going not so long ago which you can find here. That had at least one link to another site with minibeast songs.

Linda

no music really, and not only for minibeasts for everything. when i was a student i got given a list of music that went with water, music that told a story, music for sadness, joy, etc but it was nearly all classical music and i just wodered if anyone knew where i could find similar things. its mostly for assemblies and music to go with dance i think. last year i used the theme tune to Planet of the Apes for an excellent dinosaur dance and want other ideas for other topics and also for when i do dinosaurs again next half term

Oh wow, Sunbeam, I could really do with a link to a site like that, too!

Perhaps we should start a resource off from here? Maybe listing topics, and everyone can chip in with suggestions?

I love your idea of the Planet of the Apes music for dinosaurs

Hi Sunbeam and welcome to the Forum! :D

I'll give some thought to how we might collate people's topic based music ideas. It would be fun (and useful) to do. Unless someone comes up with an existing site in the near future...

i'm glad other people would find it useful - i have put in all sorts of things to search for a site but end up going round the houses and never finding what i want. if we could do it from here that would be fantastic and so useful. i have a few pieces of music i use each year but really need to build up a bigger bank especially of new music, jazz, folk etc.

Hi sunbeam and welcome! :D

The music resource sounds like a great idea, music is not my forte and I would love to be able to use it more.

www.m4t.org.uk could be a good start?

I use the Blue Danube when we use the parachute. We use a large ball and roll it round in time to the music. Another favourite with the children is Popcorn-I can't remember who it's by though. We put a big bag of small, light weight balls, the ones used for ball pools, on the parachute and see how long it takes for the children to get them all off.

Are these the sort of ideas you are thinking of Helen?

Linda

I have also used Hot Butter's Popcorn Linda, but I find the difficult thing is to find the tracks you want. I have recently bought a series of CD's in the Baby Einstein series, we use them for tidying up time music, when I listen to them I make a note of what I think it is good for - some are short pieces which are better.

I rearly like is The best of Synthesizer Hits - EMPORIO EMPRCD506 it has 18 tracks including Popcorn, Tubular bells, Theme from Rainman, Oxygene IV, Axel F.

I am listening to Classic fm music for studing 82876616292 a compilation which includes the Deer Hunter, Out of Africa, Dead Poets Society to name but a few.

Have also used Enya.

Hi Linda,

Yes, that's the sort of thing. I think we all have favourite pieces of music to use in various ways with the children; it would be great if we got a list going. :)

I really like Sunbeam's idea of choosing appropriate pieces to go with topics/imaginary play. One thing that sticks in my mind is when we played a relaxation CD to our children (with wave sounds), the children wanted to be fishes in the sea. One of our practitioners wafted chiffon scarves over their faces and told them to close their eyes and imagine mermaids were swimming in the sea and brushing past the children. They absolutely loved it, and requested it time and again.

Buying single tracks might be difficult, although i-tunes may have some.

You can also download some music free from Amazon.com. Not well known stuff but I have managed to get a great selection of multi cultural stuff from there. Some of it is really lovely. :D

We use the 1812 overture when talking about fireworks. The children are given paper and crayons and create lovely pictures whilst listening to it. They really enjoy this and ask to do it again.

Anita

i was thinking if we managed to get some way of people putting up their ideas we could also add art work eg plants - Van Gogh's sunflowers, minibeasts - Matisse the snail, materials - Andy Goldsworthy etc

• 2 weeks later...

I like Sunbeam's suggestion of linking art and music.

I think this piece of Music would be suitable to go with Matisse's Snail

Erik Satie Gymnopédie No.1

If some one clever can find a free down load on the web can you post it here I have it on a CD Classic fm Music for Dinner Parties

• 2 weeks later...

Last November 5th we did painting (outside) to the 1812. I put the paper on the floor, held down with bricks. We used tennis balls and old tea bags soaked in paint to throw down onto the paper, and flicked paint off toothbrushes! The children loved it! They moved beautifully to the music, the paintings were fantastic.........but......some parents complained as even though the children were wearing aprons, their shoes were covered in splats!!

Now I can get away with mess........the parents know my ways by now!! :o

Chris

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)