Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Tools And Risk Assessment

Hi there

Well I've ordered some real tools for the childrens to use, saws, hammers etc....just wondered if anyone already uses real tools? If so how do you use them? Have you done a risk assessment? (what did it include?)

Many Thanks Nicky XX

Hello

Yes, I have the toolboard out regularly, but have never done a risk assessment. The woodwork activity is always supervised 1:2.

Before the children are allowed to use any of the tools, I talk to them about safety and the use of tools, explaining that they are not toys but REAL tools and could be dangerous if they are not used sensibly.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Well, they could hammer themselves, put a nail into themselves, cut themselves with a saw.

You can minimise this by showing them how to use the tools properly, by having suitable levels of supervision (whatever this is), by having closer supervision until you are sure that they are competent, by making sure that the tools are securely stored, by monitoring the general mood of a session and on riotous days putting them away if you need.

thank you lolo....I know that there are a lot of children in my setting that would gain a lot from this type of activity and it is just my fear that is stopping them. Like you guys say as long as it modeled and monitored it should be fine.

Well, you need to put the benefits on too. Pencils can be dangerous too, right? They could poke each other in the eye, the nose, the ear. It is possible to kill someone with a pencil. But would you ban pencils from your setting? No, because this kind of pencil ramage just doesn't happen, and without pencils how will they draw, mark make, order bricks in the construction corner, keep score for their outdoor games, take telephone messages in the home corner etc.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)