Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

10 Books Or Poems The Children Should Learn In Reception

Hi,

Tomorrow we have Pie Corbett is coming to our school for staff training about reading. He has asked us to make a list of 6-10 books or poems that the chidlren in reception should be able to learn. I know the traditional stories,nursery rhymes and books with repetivite phrases are important but I was wondering if there were any suggestions. I have thought of at least 20 i could put on the list.

Any suggestions??

How lucky are you to have Pie Corbett coming in? I've been on the talk for writing course and it has had a massive impact on my reception class this year in terms of inclusion of less able children, sequencing stories, recall and retell skills. He is inspirational.

We 'show-cased' to our parents with a book called Hatch Egg, Hatch (at Easter time) and the children and parents absolutely loved it.

Going on a bear hunt is a good book to use. I have also used a really old Story Chest book called Mrs Wishy Washy this term as our topic was water and that has gone down a treat too.

Have a great time with Pie!

The Very Hungry Caterpillar - we have used this very successfully this term and have created our own version - 'The Very Hungry Tadpole'.

Definitely 'Brown Bear', 'Bear Hunt' and 'Mrs Wishy Washy'.

We also did the Nativity story.

Guest ChunkyMan

Some of our favourites are:

Walking through the jungle.

The train journey

Dinosaur roar

3 Billy goats gruff

Monkey Puzzle

I have done the storymaking project this year with my reception a la Pie corbett and we have learnt by heart little red hen, handa's surprise, gingerbread man and nat fantastic. Other contenders could be Hungry caterpillar, Miss Honey's hat, walking through the jungle, bear hunt, enormous turnip, shark in the park.

Deb

Our council have created a list of 10 core books, which I found interesting, as there are a few on there I wouldn't have chosen, but they are;

Hungry Caterpillar

Handa's Surprise

This is the Bear

Owl Baby

Bumpus Jumpus Dinosaurumpus

Each Peach Pear Plum

Dear Zoo

We're going on a bear hunt

Don't put your finger in the jelly nelly

Where the wild things are

These are the ones I have done this year (and when I asked the children their memories of being in my class they listed them without further prompting)

The little Red Hen

This is the house that Jack built

The Rainbow Fish

Pirate Tom

Five fluffy chickens - poem

All about alligators - non-fiction

Sports day recount

Whiskers recount

Am v jealous you are meeting the great man. I've been doing Talk for Writing since Feb half term, and am a true convert and think it is totally amazing, and have been totally amazed by the quality of writing my reception and Year 1 children have been doing since.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)