Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Help Needed With Wording Please

Hi everyone

I am hoping from my description that someone understands what I am trying to say and can help me put it into words.. :o

I feel the need to include a statement within our learning journals stating along the lines of that we can only 'tick' off the development matters that a child has achieved if we have witnessed in setting but appreciate that these may not be a true reflections of what they can do at home.

This has come to light with the fact we don't have a computer so difficult to state whether a child is capable of operating a simple programme etc.

Any input would be greatly appreciated as I just don't know where to start with the wording

But should you not be consulting the parents for their contributons too?

Believe me i've tried countless times!!

I know this can work vice versa as we have children who do stuff with us but won't at home. Just want to cover our backs as I have pushy parents who want them to read and write and 2 years.

I'm rusty on all the statements but does it have to relate to a computer? Could it be that the child can operate a beebot or one of those keyboard child's toys? Or anything that has a sequence or set procedure to follow.

Has anyone got a laptop you could use? We bought 2 a few years ago with some funding and although we dont have internet we do have some very simple games.

If you still need wording you could have an introduction to the journal at the start saying the information is specific to your setting, that you're aware a child may do things at other places and with other people you might not see evidence of, such a using a computer, climbing the stairs, expressing their opinions...We all have children who wont eat at home but gooble up their snack and who are really quiet but who mom says chatter away at home.

:o

I'm rusty on all the statements but does it have to relate to a computer? Could it be that the child can operate a beebot or one of those keyboard child's toys? Or anything that has a sequence or set procedure to follow.

Has anyone got a laptop you could use? We bought 2 a few years ago with some funding and although we dont have internet we do have some very simple games.

If you still need wording you could have an introduction to the journal at the start saying the information is specific to your setting, that you're aware a child may do things at other places and with other people you might not see evidence of, such a using a computer, climbing the stairs, expressing their opinions...We all have children who wont eat at home but gooble up their snack and who are really quiet but who mom says chatter away at home.

:o

Thank you Rea, just the kind of thing I am after.

Yes it can be as simple as that and it is something we are addressing and hoping to fundraise soon to get such equipment :)

Look at car boots. I dont know how she does it but my mom gets the most wonderful stuff for 30p to £1.50. She only spends a bit. Some for my cousins toddler, my friends baby, my 8 yr old niece and 11 yr old nephew. Everything she's bought has been in top condition, all parts working and look fab.

Or ask for donations, make them specific so you dont end up with trash, many people have things like that lying around that their children have grown out of.

In these straitened times I'm turning into Bargin Annie :o

For computers, try asking local businesses if they're updating and would they donate an old one to you? We were given a lovely Apple Mac when we first opened, updated last year when we had a grant ( worth asking your development officer about that, too............our LEA gave us money to upgrade our ICT)