Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Transition Morning To Reception

I am planning a transition morning for my new Reception class coming up from Nursery setting in same school. I wondered whether anyone had a tried and tested plan they'd like to share as mine didn't really work last year. I want to ensure the children have enough time to explore the provision, but am concerned that we might end up with lots of mess as we won't have time to show all the chn how to access the provision in each area responsibly, I'll be doing that in Sept. I want to do a couple of very short carpet sessions, getting to know each other/name game and a song/story and/or a bit of beat baby. I'd just be interested to know what other people do that you find really works.

We are a preschool in school grounds and what we do is once the foundation teachers have their class lists they take it in turns to come over and take small groups of children over the the new class for a story, a bit of music & Movement . only for half hour at a time. They also come to us as with the TA's for a short time during sessions to introduce themselves to the children and read a story in our setting.

A morning is a very long time!

But I would not allow the children to explore or free access or you will end up with the mess you describe!

I would put activities out and encourage the children to access these with you.

have a story, sing some songs and maybe have a school tour?

I usually set up one activity in each area strategically covering the rest of the resources with posters, etc. Once the children explored the available resources inside the classroom we all go outside for more exploring (they will learn about free flow in September). For the carpet session we use name games/songs, learn a nursery rhyme and act it out, have a snack, sing and dance, have a story and it's home time before they know it.

Good luck!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)