Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Role Play Area

Hi All,

just wondering if you could post and give me some idea how many of your settings have a seperate home corner as well a a themed role play area. We have ours as a florists at the moment.

After having the early years advisor in this morning she said that most settings are offering this now, well not the ones that I know about !. We do have a seperate role play area in the playhouse outside. :)

Thanks for taking time

Jackie

Hi All,

just wondering if you could post and give me some idea how many of your settings have a seperate home corner as well a a themed role play area. We have ours as a florists at the moment.

After having the early years advisor in this morning she said that most settings are offering this now, well not the ones that I know about !. We  do have a seperate role play area in the playhouse outside. :)

Thanks for taking time

Jackie

32075[/snapback]

32078[/snapback]

We just have the one usually related to the theme or the letter/We are doing growing and this week we planted Sunflowers ,to-day the role play area was the Flower shop,snap!!

We always have a home corner, plus a role play area relating to our theme. We keep this for about a half term, planning it and setting it up with the children as we start the topic. We always invlove the children in taking the 'old' role play area away before we set the new one up. We have 45 children at a time in our nursery, so it is quite a big room. In a smaller setting something has to give, so you may not be able to offer 2 role play areas.

We are a small nursery so we only have room for one indoor role play area but I do know of some larger placements who offer two. We always start the new term with a home corner especially when starting new children.

We do have a playhouse in the garden but it is very small, we also have an icecream Kiosk and we offer picnic baskets in the summer term.

Hi We also have two although they are joined next to each other, sometimes it becomes the bedroom of the life area. Or it is adapted to our themes or children interest, it dosnt take up alot of extra room and means there is more scope in developing your topics. Could you split your existing life are?

We always have a home corner-I went on a course a few years back and the tutor said that if you couldn't have anything else have a home corner as all children can relate to it.

We sometimes have other role play depending on what our topic is but not always.

Linda

The home corner is always so popular and well used, Ive always felt it was a shame to pack it away and develop something else. Inevitably the children found where I had put things and used them regardless of the themed area so in the end I started to provide both, although this did not go down very well with my head!

However, it is difficult to offer both due to space.

I just have the one - as a setting that has to set up and pack away having two would be a tremendous logistical nightmare!! :D However, the home corner comes out at least once a term and we have that interspersed with other things depending on topic. :)

Guest alisonjayne

We have one area inside and one outside. We change the one inside to fit in with whatever the topic is at the time, but like Sue said more often than not the children gradually turn it back into the traditional home corner. I like the idea of two areas, will need to look at the layout of the room

Hi Jackie H,

We just have a role play area and this is themed to our termly theme. But we do change it every week.Eg-our theme is transport so our role play area has been a garage, a service station shop, a lorry cafe, a caravan, a long distance driver stay over hotel, a lorry drivers cab, train station shop/cafe etc

So we incorporate the home corner theme with our role play area theme.

We find this works as they can bring their own experiences into the play as well as making new experiences.

Net x :o

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)