Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Learning Objectives

Just looking for peoples opinions on this... My school has a policy of getting children to write the learning intention on each piece of work. In reception where I teach, its pointless trying to get the children to write it, so I either write it myself which takes ages with 25 books, or I type little strips, and stick them (or sometimes the children stick them) onto their work. I can see the reasoning behind doing it, but sometimes I feel as though I am spending all my time doing things which are a bit meaningless to the majority of the children I teach. My books are monitored this week and I am sure I will be pulled up on either lack of work in them or learning intentions not on all work, personally I think in reception a hands on approach is much more meaningful anyway, would welcome other peoples views

Cheers

I agree with your "hands on" approach. If you really have to "write" the L.O. on each childs work may I suggest you type multiples of a L.O. and print onto A4 size sticky labels/pages, cut and stick.

What happens if a child achieves more than, or other than the expected/ planned learning outcome? Do you have to write these all as well?

There appears to be two aims to this teaching method;

1. The child being aware of the focus of their work

2. recording of achievement

Good luck, I hope you can find a method that achieves both these aims within the context of "Hands on, active learning style for the children" alongside recognising and valuing their individual (own) achievements.

Peggy

On re-reading my post, maybe you could consider a small group Plan, do, review method where a small group of children are introduced to the L.O. then when the activity/experience is completed the achievements are discussed and recorded as a group. This does tend to restrict the children to be required to achieve through only one experience rather than the holistic approach of learning within a variety of contexts.

Peggy

Hi

I have scrapped our lit/numeracy books which I inherited when I arrived in Reception.

Instead I keep samples of work for the different areas showing progression. I keep these in individual folders which I will pass upto the Yr1 teacher (after talking to her she said she rarely looked at them but relied on verbal feedback from recpetion for each child- and this year has began to make use of the profiles!!!).

I find the folder of work more useful as I can include (lots of!!) photocopies of work they produce independently e.g. in graphics area/ roleplay which often highlights where successful or less successful work has taken palce in shared/ guided writing/ reading/ maths etc sessions.

I ok this with FS manger and headteacher and spoke to Yr 1 teacher so they know what to expect.

I do follow the schols marking policy and use annotation on guided work but with inependent work during our FS unit time I tend to mark it as independent after I have checked with whoever is workingin there if they gave any input etc.

I have to say I much prefer to see how children are appyling their learning in these independent activities and display them prominenyly in the classroom and use these extensively for assessment/ profiles.

Hope this is of some use.

Lis

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)