Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Organisation Of Fsu

Hi

I just wanted some advice if I could! Next year I have a Foundation Stage Unit with 6 nursery children and 10 reception children. I have two classrooms. How do I organise it? I have some ideas but wanted to hear how other people do it. My children are all full time.

Thanks

Just to add, I have been told that I have to have Nursery and Reception in seperate classrooms with continuous provision the same in both- so two lots of literacy areas, 2 lots of reading areas etc as I have been told that they have to be apart for more than 50% of the time. Bare in mind there are only five nursery children.

Not really a unit then is it?

What is the rationale behind that?

It is so silly really! Is there really a rule of nursery and reception being apart for more than 50% of the time?

That seems very strange! Don't think I have seen that written anywhere!

We are in a 'unit' consisting of 26 preschool children at anyone time (they are part-time and we currently have 64 registered) and 74 reception age children. We have 4 classrooms, split into zones, 'creative classroom, finding out room, writing and role play room and number room. Each classroom has their own small book area and there is one shared small library area also.

The preschool classroom does have elements of every area in there as some of the younger children need more encouragement to venture into the other areas during freeflow. We also have some time in our room after doing adult led activities before we can start to free flow (as F2 spend longer on adult activities) so felt it was important for them to have elements of everything to access when the doors are closed. Ours is the creative classroom, and as soon as the doors open, the F2 children love coming into this area to do junk modelling/painting etc. This is the only area that it is available.

I would have 1 classroom as creative/messy, such as sand, water, playdough, painting, junk etc with small boxes of small world, puzzles etc in for the nursery children, then the other classroom to have other areas in for continous provision, role play, writing area, construction area etc.

That seems very strange! Don't think I have seen that written anywhere!

We are in a 'unit' consisting of 26 preschool children at anyone time (they are part-time and we currently have 64 registered) and 74 reception age children. We have 4 classrooms, split into zones, 'creative classroom, finding out room, writing and role play room and number room. Each classroom has their own small book area and there is one shared small library area also.

The preschool classroom does have elements of every area in there as some of the younger children need more encouragement to venture into the other areas during freeflow. We also have some time in our room after doing adult led activities before we can start to free flow (as F2 spend longer on adult activities) so felt it was important for them to have elements of everything to access when the doors are closed. Ours is the creative classroom, and as soon as the doors open, the F2 children love coming into this area to do junk modelling/painting etc. This is the only area that it is available.

I would have 1 classroom as creative/messy, such as sand, water, playdough, painting, junk etc with small boxes of small world, puzzles etc in for the nursery children, then the other classroom to have other areas in for continous provision, role play, writing area, construction area etc.

Hi thanks for your response

My thoughts were that because I only have a small group and I have two classrooms, that I would have one classroom as a role play area (half the classroom) and in there will be literacy challenges linked to the topic, numeracy challenges, KUW challenges etc and then the nursery children can access these to their level as well as Reception level but on a bigger scale. There will be a book area linked to the topic and a computer in there as well and there is the access to the outdoor area. So if Reception are doing a guided writing for example after christmas, we can if need to (I don't think it will be a problem with the numbers any way) keep the other children in the other groups in the other room and they are still accessing the areas! But in a role play situation! The 2nd room will be split into continuous provision as it is now but with the role play area not needing to be there (it is quite a small room and everything is squashed up, so the role play taken out will be a benefit to the children. There will be a computer area, investigation area, small world, quiet area with music, literacy and numeracy area, creative area and construction area. These will be enhanced to the topic.

I have a nursery nurse working with me, so I was going to take it in turns which room we are in, depending on whose working with a group etc. We are going to have a key worker system together but I was going to mix the children between us, my nursery nurse having some Reception children and nursery children and the same for me.

Am I thinking along the right lines? In terms of curriculum, I am confident with as it is a case of adult directed activities and child initiated as I have worked in Reception for 3 years and have EYPS so feel comfortable with this. It was just when the Head started confusing me with the organisation of the room etc.

• 7 months later...

wilkinson...have tried to message you but it won't let me!! Wanted to hear how it has all gone since...especially as a fellow EY[ who is going

for a job interview for a newly-forming FSU next week!!!

wilkinson...have tried to message you but it won't let me!! Wanted to hear how it has all gone since...especially as a fellow EY[ who is going

for a job interview for a newly-forming FSU next week!!!

I'm afraid they are no longer a full member which is why you can't contact them.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)