Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Interview Help!

:o

Hi guys,

I've been asked to teach a class of 'lively' reception children a 10-15 minute maths session in area of my choice but linked to scale points 5 and 6. I think it would be easier to do calculation, scale points 5 and 6 are to do with understanding that subtraction menas taking away and being able to use vocabulary assosicated with subtraction.

My initial thought was that I could do ten in the bed. I could start off by reading Ten in the Bed by Penny Dale and I could take a duvet into the school and get children out to the front to act out the story/song - making the focus one less than, how many have we got left etc.

What do you think about this?

It is a class of 22 reception children, 1 child is in reciept of TIS2 funding and is on the SEN register, another child has a statement for complex needs both children have 1:1 support.

After my 10-15 minute carpet activity I must plan to work with a focused maths group whilst the other children access 'seaside activities' which I must plan for. Focusing on creative development and outdoor learning opportunities.

Any ideas would be appreciated as would your thoughts on 'ten in the bed' as the interview is first thing on Tuesday morning!

Thanks in advance Charlotte x

To be honest I did want to do something to do with the seaside theme but it has to be something very active as I was told on my visit to the school that they are quite a challenging class and as with all reception they like to play an active part in carpet sessions rather than to be sat listening to the teacher. So it's just thinking of something now! And quick because i'll have to take any resources I need from my school on Monday x x

I like the idea of 10 in the bed but I too think you should try and fit in with the theme of under the sea as it makes it more relevant. How about doing something related to the rainbow fish giving away his scales. You could make a large card rainbow fish with sparkly scales on it, count how many to begin with and then give them away 1 by one OR have a child being the rainbow fish with sparkly scales stuck all over him/her and delivering 1 scale at a time to his friends sitting in the circle.The children could then all join in with saying the number sentence with actions (my receptions love doing this) for the actions we show the numbers using our fingers, take away sign is holding your forearm in front of your face horizontally and equals is holding 2 forearms parallel to each other.

Hope that helps

Good luck

Deb

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)