Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Learning Journeys/ Journals

We used to be paid 30mins/child/month so the more key children the more pay, however I wanted to bring it into session time and our EYFSA agreed so it is now scheduled into staff deployment.

Each member of staff is given observation time or LJ time and they do the LJ with the children. some staff take them home to add more but on the whole it works well, the children love it and it can become quite an 'activity' in itself.

Rachel

Update from me...committee are now going to pay bank staff to come in and relieve staff to do their learning journals. Looking at an hour each per half term! With 10 key children not sure this is enough. All we do is stick in the photos,"work" with short comment and then take our post it obs and put in area of development matters, highlight, determine net steps. So not too much effort but obvioulsy depends on the number of obs on the child. Plus to only do once per half term???

• 8 months later...

Hi All

I manage a Pre School/ Nursery and am having trouble with staff only wanting to do their key child's learning journeys/ journals/ profiles in paid work time. Can anybody help me by letting me know what you do in your setting. Do staff get paid time to do them or are they expected to do them in their own time un paid?? Currently we have some great volunteers which means we are able to get time out to get these done, but this isn't alwasy the case! Some staff seem to think it's their right to get paid for time on these.

Any help, comments welcomed!

Nimatel

I should add that we are a small pre school only recently opened so budgets are tight!

As a childminder daily journals are done through the working day, we have to do observations and other work in our own time - evening unpaid

As a childminder daily journals are done through the working day, we have to do observations and other work in our own time - evening unpaid

I don't think you are alone....there are a lot of folk doing work unpaid in the evenings or at least thinking about stuff.....you only have to come on the forum between 6pm and midnight to see how many people are around :(

• 3 weeks later...

i have never been paid but feel i would be letting my children down . I have however been given time off in leu ,but i feel if you are working for a small nursery that is trying to make ends meet ,a little bit of give does not go unnotice

i have never been paid but feel i would be letting my children down . I have however been given time off in leu ,but i feel if you are working for a small nursery that is trying to make ends meet ,a little bit of give does not go unnotice

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on making your first post.....I think you are right, a little give and take and as long as both sides feel they are getting a fair deal then that is fine :1b

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)