Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Interview Without A Teaching Section

Hello all,

I haven't posted before but could really do with some help in my rather specific situation...

I have an interview on Friday for a teaching post in a school where I completed my last teaching practice.

As they know my teaching style well, they are only asking me to do the actual interview panel part with the head, deputy and governors. The position could be FS or Y1/2, I'm just wondering if anyone has any ideas what sort of questions they might ask? I've been asked to take some literacy and numeracy 'work' - going to cover myself by taking some of my own and some children's!

Any ideas would be gratefully received!

Love the forum - thanks again to everyone who contributes, you've saved me sleepless nights on numerous occasions!

Guest LornaW

Congratulations on getting the interview. Here are some questions i have posted elsewhere on the forum but the point I would like to make is don't think becasue they have seen you teach that they will not expect full answers. Being an internal candidate is always hard as you can so easily fall in to the trap of thinking "Well they know me" So give the fullest answers you can at interview with examples.

I love the idea that you are taking some of your work as well as the children's - brilliant! Also remember if y ou have not had a chance to show them something at the end of the interview you ]can politelyt say "Would you mind if I show you..." Always show you can use your initiative.

INTERVIEW QUESTIONS I HAVE USED IN THE PAST.

Who is your hero in Early Years development?

(Looking to see if they read and are up to date with what is happening in the world of early years.)

If you could go anywhere in the world to see how they develop early years where would you go and why?

(Again I would want to know that they are aware of what is happening in Scotland / Norway & Scandinavia / Italy etc !)

What part of the Dame Tickell review excites you the most?

Tell me something that has gone really well in your classroom just recently?

Tell me how you involve parents in your classroom?

What was the best early years training course you attended and why?

How would you develop the outdoor area to ensure the 6 areas of learning can be delivered rather than just the physical?

What processes would you put in place to develop children’s learning from their interests?

How would you involve children in the daily routine?

What would you do if one child was being very disruptive in class?

How would you deal with angry parents?

If a parent was coming to parents evening, how would you encourage them to become more involved?

How do you scaffold children’s learning?

During child initiated time what do you see is the role of the adults in the setting?

How would you see your role with the TA/Nursery Nurse /LSA in your class?

What would be your ideal routine for settling new children into school?

How would you ensure a smooth transition from YR to Y1 / Y1 to Y2 / Y2 to Y3?

You may get something on progress so swot up on the schools assessment system.

Good Luck.

Lorna

Wow, thank you Lorna, those are some really helpful questions to get my teeth into!

You're absolutely right about the internal candidate thing, I am actually finding it more nerve-racking a prospect to sit in front of teachers and management I have developed a nice relationship with in the formal interview setting than if I were going in cold!

I don't want to let them down by answering questions badly or anything...

Just also found out that I have another interview next Tuesday with a choice of teaching literacy - using simple information texts or numeracy -number bonds to ten, both with minibeasts as a topic.

This has got to last 35 minutes - surely this would allow for sending children to free-flow whilst small groups are taken for adult-lead activities?! Should I theme the free-flow activities myself? I can't wait for the day when I don't have to be intruding on someone else's classroom!

Any ideas, anyone?

Guest LornaW
Wow, thank you Lorna, those are some really helpful questions to get my teeth into!

You're absolutely right about the internal candidate thing, I am actually finding it more nerve-racking a prospect to sit in front of teachers and management I have developed a nice relationship with in the formal interview setting than if I were going in cold!

I don't want to let them down by answering questions badly or anything...

Just try to imagine they don't know you so you have to tell them everything!

Just also found out that I have another interview next Tuesday with a choice of teaching literacy - using simple information texts or numeracy -number bonds to ten, both with minibeasts as a topic.

This has got to last 35 minutes - surely this would allow for sending children to free-flow whilst small groups are taken for adult-lead activities?! Should I theme the free-flow activities myself? I can't wait for the day when I don't have to be intruding on someone else's classroom!

Any ideas, anyone?

Do what you would want to do NOT what you think they want becasue if you get a job in a school and cannot be the teacher you have developed into during your traiing you will not enjoy yourself. the first year is hard enough in teaching without not enjoying it so go with your own developed pedagogy and don't keep the children inactive too long. - remember children can only concentrate for one minute per year old they are plus a minute to a maximum of 20 minutes! I would certainly theme the free flow or at least give them a choice of adult directed activities with open ended outcomes!

Lorna

Edited by LornaW

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)