Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Jigsaw Puzzle And Threading Area

Guest terrydoo73

Guest terrydoo73

We have a 3 shelf bookshelf and putting say six jigsaws along one shelf looks a bit bare. We have been asked to ensure we have a wide variety available - peg, 4, 6, 9 and 12 piece and perhaps a bit more and they must reflect everyday scenarios children would be familiar with as well as multicultural, ethnic and feelings types. What do you have in yours, what do you use for display and how is it displayed. Also we have our threading and peg boards in the same area but these are not being used by the children - can you tell me what you have in your threading area please. Thanks.

we are a pack away nursery.

Each day we display a selection of threading resourses on the table and in baskets close by:

We do the same for puzzles 2 or 3 on the table or floor and a few in baskets for choice.

If the children want more we open cupboards and with help they choose.

If the children are not selecting them perhaps put them in other areas for example: pegs in the playdough, clay or threading in the home corner or children can make their own threading giving them a sense of ownership.

I have previously put a selection of puzzles on table (variety of pictures plus different levels of challenge) then had others in a vegetable trolley for self-selection.

We have jigsaws in hanging bags on a clothes rail so children can access them all the time. There are peg boards, wooden puzzles, ordinary card jigsaws varying in difficulty, shopping list game, threading things etc so that children can see what's there easily and choose the one they want. I sometimes get one or two out, say a peg board, and put the pegs in a basket on a table, if I see it has been ignored for a bit - then they all squabble over it for a few days and it's ignored again!

I too pack away and i have a wheelie trolley with 9 trays

in this i have a jigsaw selection (1 or 2)

threading

natural materials

numerals, pens calculators and egg timers

some kind of shape thing, ie matching shapes, 3d shapes, shape game

fuzzy felt

we may have items to do with topics

cant think of anything else these get changed on a monthly/termly basis depending on usage and interests

children help themselves from the trolley either onto a table but usually a mat on the floor

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)